DROVE WHILE BANNED: A 57-year-old man said to have driven only a few yards after being "let down by a friend" appeared before Wirral Magistrates.

David Reinhardt of Grosvenor Drive, Wallasey, admitted driving while disqualified, not having insurance and not having a test certificate for his vehicle.

He had been banned for a year last March.

The court heard Reinhardt was stopped at the Twelve Quays ferry terminal.

He did not think it was a public road.

He had only driven a few yards to park up after he was let down by a friend who was going to drive from the ferry for him.

Reinhardt was fined £200 plus £100 costs and six penalty points were listed against him.


NO EVIDENCE: Christopher John Roberts, 35, of Littledale Road, Wallasey, walked free from Wirral Magistrates Court.

He had been charged with assault by beating in January but prosecutor Alan Currums said there was insufficient evidence to proceed and asked the matter be withdrawn.


DRINK-DRIVE BAN: A motorist stopped in the early hours was found to be just over the legal alcohol limit.

Antony Philip Williams, 38, of Raeburn Avenue, Eastham, admitted drink-driving when he faced magistrates. A blood test showed 94 milligrammes of alcohol. The prescribed limit is 80.

Williams, who was stopped at 2am, said he fell asleep at the home of a friend. When he woke up he thought he was all right to drive.

He was fined £400 plus £100 costs and was disqualified from driving for a year.


TWICE LEGAL LIMIT: A surveyor who drove when over the legal alcohol limit was facing the possible loss of his job, magistrates were told.

John Griffiths, 55, of Frankby Road, West Kirby, admitted drink-driving at Seacombe at the end of January.

A breath-test showed a a reading two-and-a-half times the prescribed limit.

Magistrates imposed a £400 fine. Griffiths must also pay £100 costs. He was banned from driving for 17 months.


CAR DAMAGE CHARGE: A Birkenhead man appeared before magistrates on three allegations of causing damage to parked cars in Carlton Road, Bessborough Road and Christchurch Road, all Birkenhead, last July.

The matters against David Lee Hughes, 25, of Sorrel Close, Birkenhead, were put off for two weeks at the prosecution request and no plea was taken.

Prosecutor Stephen McPeake said certain details which had been requested from the police were still awaited.


TOOK PARTNER'S CAR: An attempt to make up with his partner after an argument had unfortunate consequences for a Wirral man.

Matthew Davies took his partner’s car without permission to go to buy her flowers, was stopped by the police at 6.15am and was found to be over the alcohol limit.

Davies,35, of Lloyd Drive, Greasby pleaded guilty to taking a car without consent, not having insurance, not being covered by a licence and driving when over the alcohol limit when he appeared before Wirral Magistrates.

Davies was found to be just over double the permitted alcohol level. He was fined £120 plus £100 costs.


ASSAULT ALLEGATION: Duane Anthony Swanick, 24, of Grafton Drive, Upton, was sent for Crown Court trial by magistrates.

He is charged with bodily harm assault on a young boy at Birkenhead last September.

He was bailed to face a judge for a preliminary hearing on March 3.


SHOUTED ABUSE AT POLICE: A 29-year old man who interfered when police were issuing a motoring ticket to a woman driver was eventually arrested and appeared before magistrates.

Neil Dewhurst, of Elmswood Road, Birkenhead, admitted using threatening words and behaviour and also obstructing a police officer in the execution of his duty.

Prosecutor Stephen McPeake told how Dewhurst shouted abuse at the police and shouted to the motorist: “Give no comment and don’t accept the ticket”.

He was arrested after a struggle.

Dewhurst made no comment in court other than to say he wanted to get the matter over with. He was fined £120 and had to pay £100 costs.