DRIVER BAILED: District Judge Nick Sanders at Wirral Magistrates Court bailed a 24-year-old man until the beginning of March for evidence to be called.

Matthew David Holmes, of Kings Road, Bebington, admitted speeding in New Chester Road, Birkenhead and also possession of cannabis but denied driving while unfit through drink.

* * *

ASSAULT CHARGE: Richard Catterall, 24, of Frodsham Street, Birkenhead, was bailed for two weeks by Wirral Magistrates at the request of his solicitor.

He is charged with assault at Hamilton Square, Birkenhead in October.

No plea was entered.

* * *

COUPLE SHOPLIFTED: A couple who shoplifted were disappointed at their behaviour, defence solicitor Andy Slight told Wirral Magistrates.

Deborah Duckers, 44, and Michael David Fry, 38, both of Corporation Road, Birkenhead, admitted theft of food worth £35 from Tesco.

The two who are claiming benefit tested positive for drugs after being detained. They both had previous convictions.

They were each fined £65 plus £100 costs and they also each had to pay £17 compensation for the goods which were not recovered.

* * *

ARREST WARRANT: Magistrates issued a warrant without bail for the arrest of a West Kirby teenager.

Joshua David Meek, 18, of Abbots Way, failed to appear to answer allegations of taking a car without consent on December 5 at West Kirby, not having a licence or insurance, and failing to stop after or to report an accident.

* * *

DRINK-DRIVE ACCUSATION: Magistrates bailed an alleged drink-driver for two weeks.

Tony Ormond, 35, of Houghton Road, Woodchurch, denied driving when over the legal alcohol limit at Birkenhead in early December.

* * *

ATTACK 'WAS PROVOKED': An Eastham man faced Wirral Magistrates for causing damage to a car belonging to the new partner of his estranged wife.

David Lyons, 46, of Ferry Road, pleaded guilty to destroying two wing mirrors in November.

Lyons claimed he was hit by the car and finished up on the bonnet.

He told police he did not remember too much, but accepted he kicked the mirrors on the car in anger.

Sarah Ferguson, defending, said Lyons was frustrated and angry at the time and reacted.

Magistrates said they accepted there was provocation but they fined Lyons £175 and he also had to pay £100 compensation. They made no order for compensation.

The court was told Mrs Lyons and the complainant did not want the case to proceed, but the prosecution decided otherwise.