MAN HAD LOCK-KNIFE: A drunken man who was aggressive towards staff at a Co-op store in Upton Road, Birkenhead, was found to have a lock-knife in his trouser pocket, Wirral Magistrates heard from prosecutor Amanda Cullen.

Mark Robert Hawkins, 36, of Forest Road, Birkenhead, admitted possession of the knife in a public place without good reason or lawful authority at the end of July.

Hawkins told police when detained he had drank 20 pints and could not remember much.

He thought the knife was legal. Magistrates imposed a four-month curfew order, which means Hawkins must remain at home nightly between 7pm and 7am.

The knife was forfeited and Hawkins had to pay £85 costs.

* * *

ASSAULT CONVICTION: Wirral Magistrates bailed a teenager until October 4 for a pre-sentence report.

Jay Minney, 18,of Rock Lane East, Birkenhead, has been convicted of assault by beating at Linwood Road, Birkenhead, in June.

* * *

RAIL TRAVEL CHEAT: A young Birkenhead man who twice travelled on the railway without paying the fare was ordered to serve 80 hours of community work by Wirral Magistrates.

Paul Anthony Squires, 20, of Deansway, Birkenhead, admitted two allegations of travelling on the railway with intent to avoid payment.

He had to pay compensation for the journeys. Squires was also before the court for failing to comply with the requirements of a community order in that he failed to attend as instructed for supervision.

A further 80 hours or unpaid work was added for the breach, making 160 hours in all.

* * *

WOMAN ATTACKED POLICEMAN: A woman who assaulted a police officer was ordered to pay him £100 compensation by Wirral Magistrates.

Nicola Suzanne Staff, 33, of Trentham Road, Wallasey pleaded guilty to assaulting the officer in the execution of his duty at Ashville Road, Wallasey, in August.

Magistrates made a 12-month supervision order. Staff also had to pay £85 costs.

* * *

ELECTRICITY THEFT AND DRUGS: Police who searched a Birkenhead house recovered a small amount of cannabis and also discovered the electric meter had been tampered with, prosecutor Lionel Cope told Wirral Magistrates.

Karl Groom, 35, of Bentinck Place, admitted unlawful possession of the controlled drug and also using electricity without authority.

He was fined £70 and had to pay £100 costs.

* * *

DRINK-DRIVE BAN: A motorist stopped by tHe police due to the manner of his driving in the early hours said “It’s okay. I’m over”, Wirral Magistrates heard.

Patrick Cleary, 36, of Waterloo Court, Albion Street, Birkenhead, later gave a test showing more than three times the legal alcohol level.

He admitted drink-driving and was bailed for a probation report. Magistrates imposed an interim driving ban.

* * *

COCAINE POSSESSION CHARGE: Magistrates bailed a 42-year-old man for two weeks with a view to him accepting a police caution.

Wayne Peter Newton, of Arrowe Park Road, Upton, currently faces an allegation of unlawful possession of cocaine at Upton in May.

* * *

DRINK-DRIVE CAR CRASH: A motorist who crashed his car into a shop front in Bebington Road, Port Sunlight, was found to have drunk approaching three times the legal alcohol level, Wirral Magistrates were told.

Adam Graham Oakes, 18, of Heather Dene, Bromborough, admitted drink-driving.

Gerald Pachter, defending, said Oakes had drank after being upset over the death of his grandfather. He then took a chance and drove and was devastated by the consequences.

Oakes was fined £100 plus £100 costs and was disqualified from driving for two years.

* * *

ADMITTED HAVING CANNABIS: Magistrates imposed a fine of £35 on Michael Barry Williams, 19, of Newton Cross Lane, West Kirby, after he admitted unlawful possession of cannabis at Hoylake in August.

He had to pay £100 costs and the cannabis seized was forfeited.

Williams said the cannabis was for "experiment while camping."