Send us news by text, start your message Globe News and your send photos and videos to 80360
Man choked to death on sausage sandwich
AN Upton man who was more than five times over the legal alcohol limit died after choking on a sandwich.
Joseph O’Driscoll, 55, was pronounced dead at Arrowe Park Hospital following the incident on December 4 last year.
Coroner’s officer Donald Johnston told an inquest at Wallasey Town Hall on Thursday that the computer manager had bought the sausage sandwich from a cafe in Ford Road, Upton, earlier that day.
He collapsed in the shop while eating it and despite resuscitation attempts by paramedics never regained consciousness.
Mr Johnston said: “The choking had been caused by alcohol intoxity and the food matter had to be removed by paramedics. The blood alcohol was in the acute range.”
A postmortem at Arrowe Park Hospital, conducted by Dr Krishnan Gumparthi, concluded that death was as a result of hypoxic brain injury and bronchial pneumonia due to choking on food and alcohol toxicity. Mr O’Driscoll’s body was identified by his wife, Theresa.
A toxicology examination revealed 453mg of alcohol per 100ml of alcohol, five-and-a-half times the legal limit for driving.
The inquest heard that Mr O'Driscoll had a history of problems with alcohol.
Coroner Christopher Johnson recorded a verdict of death by misadventure.