A CLAIRE House charity shop devastated by fire on New Year's Eve has reopened today.

Firecrews were called to the shop at The Rake in Bromborough in the early hours of that day after a passer-by saw smoke coming from a broken window of the shop.

It was initially thought the blaze had been deliberately started, but after an examination of the scene, it was believed to have been caused by an electrical fault.

Days after the fire, Claire House staff held a stock drive, which brought in more than eight van loads of public donations.

The shop has been refurbished and was re-opened this Friday morning.

Cutting the ribbon was four-year-old Myles from Bromborough, who has Mitochondrial disorder and regularly stays at Claire House for respite.

Accompanying him today was mum Carrie and Nan Julie. 

Following today's opening, shop manager Karen Carr told the Globe: "We are delighted to have the shop back open again.

"The support we've had since the fire happened back in December, has been amazing and we can’t thank everyone enough.”

"It's so nice to see all our volunteers back in the shop and we are looking forward to welcoming all of our customers both old and new."

Recalling the stock drive in January, Karen said earlier this week:  "It was a very cold two and rainy days and we thought we might fill a furniture van, or two, with donations from the public but we actually filled eight.

"We had about 3,000 bags of donations from the public.

"It was awesome; that's the only word I can use to describe it.

"It was so cold and wet, but people still came to support us.

"Thanks to the public for your amazing and overwhelming generosity.

"We realise Claire House is close to everybody’s heart in Wirral.

"It's a fabulous charity and, obviously, the public know."