AN elderly couple who died in a house fire in Seacombe have been named as 85-year-old Robert Watson and his wife, 84-year-old Enid Watson.

Passing police officers raised the alarm when they saw smoke coming from their home on James Street on Friday.

The officers tried to forced their way inside the house at around 8.30pm, but were overcome by heat and smoke, the Merseyside Fire & Rescue Service said.

Mrs Watson was brought outside and given emergency first-aid before being transferred to Arrowe Park Hospital where she was later pronounced dead. Mr Watson was found dead inside the house.

Three fire appliances attended the scene and firefighters worked for around an hour to put out the flames.

Dave Mottram, area manager for MFRS, paid tribute to the “valiant” efforts of the police officers who tried to save the couple. He said: “The fire service were alerted by the police who discovered the fire while in attendance at another incident in the street.

“Police officers made valiant attempts to save the occupiers, forcing entry through the front door, but unfortunately they were unable to do so due to the effects of severe heat and smoke.

“Fire-fighters made entry into the property wearing breathing apparatus, where they found the ground-floor was well alight.

Wirral Globe: Police at the scene of the fire on James Street.

“They tackled the fire and prevented it spreading to neighbouring properties. The fire was quickly under control and completely extinguished by 9.30pm.”

Mr Mottram continued: “The thoughts of all Merseyside Fire Service staff are with the family of the deceased at this time. We understand fires like this can have a great degree of impact on communities and we will be highlighting fire safety messages to people in the area in the coming days.

“Please can I stress the importance of working smoke alarms and remind everyone that Merseyside Fire Service will fit smoke alarms and carry out a home fire safety check free of charge to anyone over 65 in our communities. “

The fire is not being treated as suspicious and investigations are ongoing.

A post mortem examination is due to take place and a file is being prepared for the coroner.