Householders urged to fit smoke alarms after kitchen fire in New Brighton

Merseyside fire service was called at around 4am after reports of smoke issuing from a house near Rowson Street.

Merseyside fire service was called at around 4am after reports of smoke issuing from a house near Rowson Street.

First published in News
Last updated

Householders are being urged to fit smoke alarms after a kitchen fire in New Brighton.

The property near Rowson Street had no working alarms.

Merseyside fire service was called at around 4am today after reports of smoke issuing from the building.

The fire had started in a faulty fridge-freezer, but was out by the time crews arrived.

Wallasey fire station watch manager Ray Olsen, who attended the incident, said: “We would really urge people to have working smoke alarms on each level of their home.

"Smoke alarms can give you the vital early warning about a fire, allowing you time to escape a building.”

The suspected cause was an electrical fault. There was smoke damage to the kitchen and the ground-floor of the house.

Crews carried out a home fire safety check and fitted three alarms.

Appliances from Wallasey and Birkenhead attended.

To request a safety check, or for free fire safety advice, call 0800 7315958 or go to the Merseyside fire service website here 

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree