A MAN found dead at a flat in Wallasey following a fire earlier this week has been named.
David Thomson, 62, also known as "Donovan", was found dead inside the property on Penkett Road on Tuesday.
At this time Mr Thomson's death is not being treated as suspicious and the matter has been referred to the coroner.
An inquest will be held to determine the cause of Mr Thomson's death.
While the exact cause of death is yet to be established, a subsequent investigation by Merseyside Fire and Rescue Service found that an e-cigarette that had been charging in the bedroom exploded, caught fire and ignited the oxygen tube of an oxygen concentrator, which may have been in use by Mr Thompson at the time.
The fire was the ninth involving e-cigarettes on Merseyside alone since the turn of the year, the fire service said.
On Friday, fire safety officers visited homes in Wallasey as part of an awareness campaign to give help and advice on smoke alarms and the use of the devices and their chargers.
Fire service area manager Myles Platt said: "The investigation into the cause of this fire is continuing but at this stage it is thought that the charging device being used at the time may not have been the one supplied with the e-cigarette.
"We urge people to always use electrical equipment in accordance with the manufacturer's instructions and guidance, always ensure that no electrical items are left charging overnight or left unattended for a long period when being charged and do not mix parts from different e-cigarettes.
"Only use the original charger or electrical cables supplied and ensure you purchase electrical items from a reputable source.
"We understand the impact tragic incidents such as these can have on families and the wider community."
Among those consulted by fire officers was Mr Thomson's neighbour, Robbie Forbes, who said: "He’d only lived here for nine months, so I’ve only known him for a short time. He was a nice guy who kept himself to himself."