Wirral man found dead after blaze believed to have been caused by exploding e-cigarette

Wirral man found dead after blaze believed to have been caused by exploding e-cigarette

Wirral man found dead after blaze believed to have been caused by exploding e-cigarette

Scene of the fire on Penkett Road in Wallasey

Scene of the fire on Penkett Road in Wallasey

Scene of the fire on Penkett Road in Wallasey

First published in News
Last updated
Wirral Globe: Photograph of the Author by , Senior Reporter

A WALLASEY man has been found dead after a fire believed to have been caused by an exploding e-cigarette.

The body of the 62-year-old man was discovered at a property in Penkett Road on Tuesday morning.

Although the cause of death and fire is yet to be determined, investigators identified an e-cigarette that had been charging in the bedroom.

It is believed the device exploded, caught fire and ignited the oxygen tube of an oxygen concentrator, which may have been in use by the occupier.

An inquest will be held to determine the cause of the man’s death.

Merseyside Fire & Rescue Service will carry out a reassurance campaign in Wallasey on Friday, where people will be given advice surrounding the safe use of e-cigarettes.

Area manager Myles Platt said: “The investigation into the cause of this fire is continuing but at this stage it is thought that the charging device being used at the time may not have been the one supplied with the e-cigarette.

“We urge people to always use electrical equipment in accordance with the manufacturer's instructions and guidance, always ensure that no electrical items are left charging overnight or left unattended for a long period when being charged and do not mix parts from different e-cigarettes.

“Only use the original charger or electrical cables supplied and ensure you purchase electrical items from a reputable source.

“We understand the impact tragic incidents such as these can have on families and the wider community. Firefighters will be carrying out community reassurance visits and highlighting home fire safety in the area on Friday, August 8.”

Comments (1)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

8:45am Fri 8 Aug 14

Tricia Mary says...

Exactly the same thing happened to my brother. Luckily the incident occurred before they went too bed and they were able to call the fire brigade and evacuate their home. This latest story brings home how lucky they were
Exactly the same thing happened to my brother. Luckily the incident occurred before they went too bed and they were able to call the fire brigade and evacuate their home. This latest story brings home how lucky they were Tricia Mary
  • Score: 3

Comments are closed on this article.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree