THREE teenagers have been arrested on suspicion of murder after a pensioner died days after being struck by a pedal-powered quadricycle on New Brighton promenade.

The 65-year-old man – who was hit by the four-wheeled vehicle on July 22 – died on Monday.

The father-of-three, who was being treated for cancer at the time of his death, had been walking along the pedestrian promenade between Bubbles play centre and the Home Bargain store with his wife and two boxer dogs at around 4.15pm last Tuesday when a blue quadricyle with four teenagers onboard came up behind them.

The youths – who were said to be riding and acting anti-socially towards other people on the promenade – struck the pensioner with the vehicle, knocking him to the floor.

After stopping momentarily, the group of teenagers got back onto the quadricyle and left the scene in the direction of Fort Perch Rock.

The man - who bad been undergoing cancer treatment for some time - became poorly and was taken to Arrowe Park Hospital for treatment for his injuries that included swelling, bruising and head trauma.

He was discharged two days later but then sought further treatment at the Royal Liverpool University Hospital when his condition deteriorated on Friday.

He sadly died in that hospital in the early hours of Monday morning.

The result of a post mortem examination carried out on Tuesday have been withheld by the pathologist pending the results of further tests.

An investigation was launched by Wirral into both the collision and the man's subsequent death – which is being treated as “unexplained”.

Officers have this morning arrested two 15-year-old males from Birkenhead and a 17-year-old male from Prenton on suspicion of murder.

They will be questioned later today about the incident involving the quadricycle on the promenade.

Detectives remain keen for anyone who witnessed the collision between the quadricycle and the pedestrian or saw a quadricylce being ridden on the promendade last Tuesday afternoon to call them on 0151 777 2265.