A MARTIAL arts expert attacked his unofficial brother-in-law by knocking him to the ground and twice smashing his head into the floor.

Lithuanian born Kestusis Lukosevicius launched the attack with any provocation and was so drunk that afterwards he could not remember the incident, but did accept responsibility.

Imposing a 16 month jail sentence suspended for two years, a judge said: "That night you behaved like a wild animal".

Liverpool Crown Court heard that on July 5 last year the victim, Edris Nosrati went to visit his girlfriend - whose sister was the defendant's girlfriend - at her home in Springwood Way, Rock Ferry where she lived with her family.

He found that Lukosevicius and others were already there being very loud and drunk. About an hour and half later the defendant and Mr Nosrati, who had been encouraged to stay and drink with him, were outside in the garden.

"The defendant was boasting about his strength, his body and his expert knowledge of martial arts," said David Potter, prosecuting.

He was also interested in Mr Nosrati's wrist watch which incorporated a touch screen and indicated he should give it him as a gift, which Mr Nosrati found quite intimidating.

They discussed employment options for Lukosevicius and Mr Nosrati assured him he would be able to find work even though his language skills were limited.

"Without warning the defendant punched Mr Nosrati to the face with sufficient force that it knocked him to the floor. Mr Nosrati was face down and describes that the defendant grabbed his head with both hands and smashed it into the floor at least twice.

"He could hear his girlfriend's father shouting 'stop' and as he tried to get to his feet the defendant struck him with an object across the right hand," said Mr Potter.

He got to his fee and fled into the street and was seen to be bleeding heavily by neighbours and the emergency services were called. Police found Lukosevicius extremely aggressive and as he was kicking and punching from within the police car a caged vehicle had to be requested but he continued to be aggressive and violent.

At hospital it was found that the victim had a three centimetre laceration to his forehead requiring stitches, swelling and bruising to his left eye, a sore neck and cuts, bruising and abrasions to his right leg, right hand and left index finger.

29-year-old Lukosevicius, of Old Chester Road, Rock Ferry, who has no previous convictions, pleaded guilty to inflicting grievous bodily harm.

Judge Clement Goldstone, QC, the Recorder of Liverpool, said that he had used three separate uses of violence the most serious involving grabbing Mr Nosrati's head with both hands and smashing it twice on the patio floor.

As well as the suspended sentence the judge ordered him to carry out 180 hours unpaid work and pay his victim £500 compensation and £500 towards the prosecution costs. He also imposed a six month curfew with a tag between 6.30 pm - 6.30 am and placed him under supervision for six months.

He told Lukosevicius that if it means he cannot go on holiday with his partner and their baby or go out celebrating at Christmas "just spare a thought for Mr Nosrati because he is scarred permanently as result of violence towards him."

Anna Duke, defending, said that the defendant, who is working and has a four month old baby, did not normally drink and had been bingeing that night at a party.

He had written a letter to the judge expressing his remorse, explaining he could not sleep at night and woke every day thinking about it and feeling ashamed.