Send us news by text, start your message Globe News and your send photos and videos to 80360
Carbon monoxide poisoning suspected after two die in Bebington bungalow
Updated 8:03am Tuesday 3rd June 2014 in News
Carbon monoxide poisoning is suspected as being the cause of the death of two men whose bodies were discovered in Wirral yesterday.
The deceased were found at a bungalow in Kennet Road, Bebington, during the early hours of Monday morning.
Police were sent to the scene in after receiving a report of concerns for the safety of a man at the address.
Inside they found the bodies of the two, aged 47 years and 54 years.
According to neighbours, one of the men was the other victim’s carer.
A spokesman for National Grid said: “We were called by the police at 2.30am. It was a report of suspected carbon monoxide poisoning.
“We checked the property and there was no gas leak.
"There had been natural gas that had not been burnt up.
“If gas doesn’t burn up properly it gives off carbon monoxide as a gas. It could be an appliance like a boiler or water heater.
“We disconnected the supply to the house and we checked the properties next door. There were no leaks there.”
Police said the deaths were being treated as unexplained.
A spokesman added there were not believed to be any suspicious circumstances and inquiries were on-going.
The men’s next of kin were in the process of being informed.
The spokesman added: “Formal identification is still to take place.
"Post-mortem examinations will be carried out in due course and a full investigation into the circumstances surrounding the incident is continuing.”
Neighbours in the quiet cul-de-sac expressed shock following the grim discovery.
One, who had lived in the area for 14 years, told the Globe: "This is the first time anything like this has happened. It's a terrible shock."
Another, who also wanted to remain anonymous, said: "There were 'wall-to-wall' police in the road after the bodies were found. We had no idea what was going on at the time."
Anyone with information is asked to call Merseyside Police on the 101 non-emergency number.