A MAN was led to safety after following a fire in the kitchen of a house in Bebington earlier this morning.

Firefighters were called to an address in Town Lane, Bebington after smoke alarms alerted neighbours. The small fire was extinguished less than an hour later.

The man led to safety was assessed by paramedics at the scene but did not require hospital treatment.

Crews from Birkenhead, Bromborough and Wallasey Community Fire Station attended the incident.

Watch Manager Andy Blythe, who attended the call-out with firefighters on Red Watch at Birkenhead community fire station, said: "Smoke alarms alerted neighbours to the fire illustrating once again the importance of having working smoke alarms on each level of your home.

“This fire started in the kitchen involving cooking.

"In line with our general fire safety advice we advise people not to cook when they are extremely tired or fatigued and not to leave cooking unattended even for a moment."