Lucky escape for householders after Wirral home filled with carbon monoxide

Wirral Globe: Lucky escape for householders after Wirral home filled with carbon monoxide Lucky escape for householders after Wirral home filled with carbon monoxide

WIRRAL householders had a lucky escape on Sunday when a faulty boiler filled their home with deadly carbon monoxide.

Fortunately, a carbon monoxide alarm had been fitted just three weeks before and activated at the property in Alverstone Road, Liscard.

Merseyside Fire & Rescue Service was called and crews wearing breathing apparatus ensured everyone had left the property before isolating the boiler and ventilated the building.

They also requested an ambulance and a gas engineer.

Two men and a woman were taken to Arrowe Park Hospital for precautionary check-ups.

Watch manager Warren Bradley, who attended the incident with Red Watch from Wallasey fire station, said: “Our equipment showed a high level of carbon monoxide in this property.

“The occupiers had bought a CO alarm three weeks before and this had activated, alerting them to the dangerous gas.

“This goes to who the importance of having such an alarm in the home.

“Equipment showed levels of 327 carbon monoxide parts per million. At levels of between 400 to 600 parts per million, you could lose consciousness and vomit.

“We advise that people not only have working smoke alarms in their homes but also a CO detector.

“Gas appliances in your home should be checked each year by a Gas Safe Registered engineer.”

In 2012 a new awareness campaign by the Gas Safe Register was launched and saw crews from six fire appliances across Merseyside carrying messages raising awareness of the risks of CO poisoning and encouraging the public to have their gas appliances safety checked annually.

click2find

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree