A goal in each half from Joe Garner earned Preston a 1-2 win over Tranmere at Prenton Park.

Rovers were briefly level through Ash Taylor's late first-half strike and hit the bar with the score at 1-1.

However, Preston restored their lead soon after and left with all three points.

There was one change to the team that started at MK Dons, with Jake Kirby coming in for Jason Koumas as Rovers switched back to 4-4-2.

Ronnie Moore said defensive errors cost his side.

The manager said: "They came and attacked, took chances, pushed their full backs forward and left two versus two at the back. We hung in the game but it was self-destruct for the goals.

“We had a chat at half-time about how we were going to play and changed it a little bit.

"We went 4-4-2 and that wasn't working so we had to change it.

"We brought Koumas on and he got on the ball and if we hadn't done that they'd have had the ball all day. We had to change it and Jake understands that.

"They're one of the best sides we've played. They can afford to push both full backs on because of the quality they've got in midfield with people who look after the ball.

"I won't criticise my players for what they've given me today, they've given me everything. We were just naive when asked to defend.”

"If we show the same desire and commitment we did today we'll get the breaks eventually and we won't play against a side much better than that.

“They're on a par with the top two in the division.

"We've got to defend better than we did today, if we do that we'll be okay."

Tranmere started the second-half brightly when, on 47 minutes. Wallace found Jake Cassidy whose right foot shot deflected behind the goal.

Koumas took the corner from the right hand side and Taylor's goalbound header had to be punched clear by Rudd.

On 50 minutes Rovers were inches from taking the lead, with Koumas curling a 25 yard free kick against the bar.

However, soon after Preston went back ahead. Rovers lost possession inside the visitors' half and they broke quickly, with the ball being played to Garner who fired a low shot past Fon Williams and into the bottom left corner from 15 yards.

Despite scoring his tenth goal in a Tranmere shirt, Taylor was disappointed to end up on the losing side.

The defender said: "In the second-half I thought the work ethic of the lads was brilliant, it was just a sucker punch with the second goal while we were on top. It was disappointing.

"It was a great time to get the equaliser. It could have been 2-1 [with the Koumas free kick]

"It's a shame but it's the way football is sometimes.

"Sometimes it can be a lack of concentration. When you're going forward you have to be switched on defensively.

Rovers, currently in 17th place in League One, will be travelling to face relegation-strugglers Bristol City this Saturday.

Taylor said: "It's a six-pointer next week.

"I'm sure if we can beat them we can kick on again. We've got to go there and take all three points."