Police launch crackdown on Merseyside cannabis farm gangs

Scene at one of the homes raided by police during Monday's raids.

Scene at one of the homes raided by police during Monday's raids.

First published in News
Last updated
Wirral Globe: Photograph of the Author by , Chief Reporter

POLICE have stepped up their war against cannabis farm gangs by seizing cannabis plants worth up to an estimated £1million in raids across Merseyside this week.

Officers from the force's Matrix Serious Organised Crime carried out search warrants at properties in Wirral, Sefton, St Helens and Knowsley as part of a new month-long campaign.

On the first day of the operation, police executed Misuse of Drugs Act warrants across the county and seized around 1000 plants and arrested 18 people.

In Sefton, a 500-plant farm was uncovered at a house in Crosby and a 22-year-old man was arrested.

A smaller cannabis factory containing several dozen plants was also dismantled in Seaforth and a 52-year-old man arrested. Bags of cannabis and white powder were also found.

In north Liverpool, ten people were arrested in total and 162 cannabis plants found in seven farms.

Evidence of a recently cultivated cannabis farm was uncovered at a house in West Derby. A woman was arrested at the property on suspicion of possession with intent to supply and money laundering.

The month of action also includes an awarness-raising campaign to educate people about the dangers of cannabis and also how people can help put a stop to the cannabis farms.

School liason officers will give presentations to secondary school pupils throughout the county about the consequences of smoking or possessing cannabis, incuding the damage to their health and affects on future job prospects.

Neighbourhood officers will also set up a replica cannabis factory in empty units in shopping areas to show people going about their daily business what potential dangers and hazards exist inside a farm.

Superintendent David Charnock, from MSOC, said: "We are already having great successes in uncovering cannabis farms every day as more and more people become wise to the tell-tale signs that there is one in their community.

"The public have been a massive help in telling us what they know and in return we have vowed to act on that information and take action against the criminals who are profiting from these farms.

"Cannabis is not a harmless drug. It is hugely profitable to grow and sell it and we know that organised crime groups set up and control these factories, often in the very heart of local communities.

"The knock-on effects can be devastating for decent, law-abiding people who live there, as rival criminals fighting for control of these farms bring violence and initimidation to the streets.

"That is why we are going after these criminals in a concerted crackdown this month - to severely disrupt and damage their criminal activities and show the public that it is in everyone's interests to work together to tackle this problem."

Merseyside Police Commissioner Jane Kennedy said: "The Force is uncovering and dismantling cannabis farms on a daily basis, but this month of action reaffirms and emphasises their commitment to tackling the gangs that are running these drug factories and removing them from our neighbourhoods.

"The production of this drug is just one element of the serious and organised crime that brings misery to the streets of Merseyside.

“Young people are manipulated and drawn into getting involved in criminal activity, while the quality of life of law-abiding residents is disturbed and their lives put in danger due to the hazardous nature of these farms.

"They are magnets for violence and are used to fund criminal gangs.

"I strongly support the Chief Constable in his commitment to identifying, targeting and disrupting those involved in such crime and ensuring Merseyside remains a hostile environment for anyone engaged in such activity."

Comments (23)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

5:57pm Tue 4 Feb 14

Dr Martin says...

Well done to Superintendent David Charnock, and his team
Well done to Superintendent David Charnock, and his team Dr Martin
  • Score: 2

6:43pm Tue 4 Feb 14

ManCityNo1 says...

If you don't want criminals involved in Cannabis production, legalise and regulate ! Lots of people want Cannabis and that isn't going to change ever ! So make it safe and take the profits away from organised crime and put it into the Economy. It is happening in other parts of the World, so why not here ?
If you don't want criminals involved in Cannabis production, legalise and regulate ! Lots of people want Cannabis and that isn't going to change ever ! So make it safe and take the profits away from organised crime and put it into the Economy. It is happening in other parts of the World, so why not here ? ManCityNo1
  • Score: 0

8:03pm Tue 4 Feb 14

Dr Martin says...

Criminals will still be involved in a regulated system, as they are in alcohol and tobacco
Criminals will still be involved in a regulated system, as they are in alcohol and tobacco Dr Martin
  • Score: 1

8:38pm Tue 4 Feb 14

ManCityNo1 says...

Yes because everyone buys Alcohol from illegal unregulated street dealers !
Try again !
Yes because everyone buys Alcohol from illegal unregulated street dealers ! Try again ! ManCityNo1
  • Score: -1

8:41pm Tue 4 Feb 14

Dr Martin says...

ManCityNo1 wrote:
Yes because everyone buys Alcohol from illegal unregulated street dealers !
Try again !
Not Everyone, but quite a few million quids worth
[quote][p][bold]ManCityNo1[/bold] wrote: Yes because everyone buys Alcohol from illegal unregulated street dealers ! Try again ![/p][/quote]Not Everyone, but quite a few million quids worth Dr Martin
  • Score: 0

11:00pm Tue 4 Feb 14

ManCityNo1 says...

Have you a source for that statement ?
Have you a source for that statement ? ManCityNo1
  • Score: -1

11:24pm Tue 4 Feb 14

Dr Martin says...

https://www.gov.uk/g
overnment/uploads/sy
stem/uploads/attachm
ent_data/file/212738
/Alcohol_Fraud_consu
ltation.pdf

£1.2 billion
https://www.gov.uk/g overnment/uploads/sy stem/uploads/attachm ent_data/file/212738 /Alcohol_Fraud_consu ltation.pdf £1.2 billion Dr Martin
  • Score: 1

11:50pm Tue 4 Feb 14

Dr Martin says...

http://www.publicati
ons.parliament.uk/pa
/cm201314/cmselect/c
mpubacc/297/297.pdf

Tobacco £1.9 billion
http://www.publicati ons.parliament.uk/pa /cm201314/cmselect/c mpubacc/297/297.pdf Tobacco £1.9 billion Dr Martin
  • Score: 1

11:51pm Tue 4 Feb 14

ManCityNo1 says...

Dr Martin wrote:
https://www.gov.uk/g

overnment/uploads/sy

stem/uploads/attachm

ent_data/file/212738

/Alcohol_Fraud_consu

ltation.pdf

£1.2 billion
How much cash do you think the Economy loses due to organised crime being the only people involved in the Cannabis trade ?
If Cannabis was regulated like Alcohol a hell of a lot less of it would go to them. The majority of consumers would buy from legitimate retail stores, because they don't want to be criminals. Just look at Colorado USA, 5 million Dollars taken in just the first week of legalisation !
Prohibition doesn't work, it is an old, tired ideology, that has created more problems for Society than it has solved (if it has actually solved any !)
[quote][p][bold]Dr Martin[/bold] wrote: https://www.gov.uk/g overnment/uploads/sy stem/uploads/attachm ent_data/file/212738 /Alcohol_Fraud_consu ltation.pdf £1.2 billion[/p][/quote]How much cash do you think the Economy loses due to organised crime being the only people involved in the Cannabis trade ? If Cannabis was regulated like Alcohol a hell of a lot less of it would go to them. The majority of consumers would buy from legitimate retail stores, because they don't want to be criminals. Just look at Colorado USA, 5 million Dollars taken in just the first week of legalisation ! Prohibition doesn't work, it is an old, tired ideology, that has created more problems for Society than it has solved (if it has actually solved any !) ManCityNo1
  • Score: -3

11:53pm Tue 4 Feb 14

ManCityNo1 says...

http://www.independe
nt.co.uk/news/world/
americas/colorado-ca
nnabis-store-sales-b
elieved-to-have-exce
ed-5m-in-first-week-
9050186.html
http://www.independe nt.co.uk/news/world/ americas/colorado-ca nnabis-store-sales-b elieved-to-have-exce ed-5m-in-first-week- 9050186.html ManCityNo1
  • Score: -2

8:31am Wed 5 Feb 14

Dr Martin says...

ManCityNo1 wrote:
Dr Martin wrote:
https://www.gov.uk/g


overnment/uploads/sy


stem/uploads/attachm


ent_data/file/212738


/Alcohol_Fraud_consu


ltation.pdf

£1.2 billion
How much cash do you think the Economy loses due to organised crime being the only people involved in the Cannabis trade ?
If Cannabis was regulated like Alcohol a hell of a lot less of it would go to them. The majority of consumers would buy from legitimate retail stores, because they don't want to be criminals. Just look at Colorado USA, 5 million Dollars taken in just the first week of legalisation !
Prohibition doesn't work, it is an old, tired ideology, that has created more problems for Society than it has solved (if it has actually solved any !)
£5 million are you trying to impress me? Colorado and Scotland have roughly the same population Scotland’s alcohol sales are approx £67million per week
Prohibition generally has worked quite well illicit drug usage is approx 10% of the population prohibition has deterred the other 90% I would say it has worked but could work better
[quote][p][bold]ManCityNo1[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Dr Martin[/bold] wrote: https://www.gov.uk/g overnment/uploads/sy stem/uploads/attachm ent_data/file/212738 /Alcohol_Fraud_consu ltation.pdf £1.2 billion[/p][/quote]How much cash do you think the Economy loses due to organised crime being the only people involved in the Cannabis trade ? If Cannabis was regulated like Alcohol a hell of a lot less of it would go to them. The majority of consumers would buy from legitimate retail stores, because they don't want to be criminals. Just look at Colorado USA, 5 million Dollars taken in just the first week of legalisation ! Prohibition doesn't work, it is an old, tired ideology, that has created more problems for Society than it has solved (if it has actually solved any !)[/p][/quote]£5 million are you trying to impress me? Colorado and Scotland have roughly the same population Scotland’s alcohol sales are approx £67million per week Prohibition generally has worked quite well illicit drug usage is approx 10% of the population prohibition has deterred the other 90% I would say it has worked but could work better Dr Martin
  • Score: 0

12:29pm Wed 5 Feb 14

ManCityNo1 says...

Prohibition has been a total failure, it cause's the needless deaths of young people, it cause's the needless spread of disease and homelessness, it criminalises otherwise law abiding citizens, it cause's violent crime and makes some criminals very rich ! How can you say it has "worked quite well" ? Get real !
MDMA has been scientifically proven to be relatively benign on the human body and is quite safe to use, but because of prohibition young people die because they have taken PMA which is highly toxic ! How can you say it has "worked quite well" ? You are wrong !
If you support Prohibition you support Organised crime !
Prohibition has been a total failure, it cause's the needless deaths of young people, it cause's the needless spread of disease and homelessness, it criminalises otherwise law abiding citizens, it cause's violent crime and makes some criminals very rich ! How can you say it has "worked quite well" ? Get real ! MDMA has been scientifically proven to be relatively benign on the human body and is quite safe to use, but because of prohibition young people die because they have taken PMA which is highly toxic ! How can you say it has "worked quite well" ? You are wrong ! If you support Prohibition you support Organised crime ! ManCityNo1
  • Score: -4

1:05pm Wed 5 Feb 14

Dr Martin says...

ManCityNo1 wrote:
Prohibition has been a total failure, it cause's the needless deaths of young people, it cause's the needless spread of disease and homelessness, it criminalises otherwise law abiding citizens, it cause's violent crime and makes some criminals very rich ! How can you say it has "worked quite well" ? Get real !
MDMA has been scientifically proven to be relatively benign on the human body and is quite safe to use, but because of prohibition young people die because they have taken PMA which is highly toxic ! How can you say it has "worked quite well" ? You are wrong !
If you support Prohibition you support Organised crime !
So who is paying these criminals for their weed, stoners support organised crime
[quote][p][bold]ManCityNo1[/bold] wrote: Prohibition has been a total failure, it cause's the needless deaths of young people, it cause's the needless spread of disease and homelessness, it criminalises otherwise law abiding citizens, it cause's violent crime and makes some criminals very rich ! How can you say it has "worked quite well" ? Get real ! MDMA has been scientifically proven to be relatively benign on the human body and is quite safe to use, but because of prohibition young people die because they have taken PMA which is highly toxic ! How can you say it has "worked quite well" ? You are wrong ! If you support Prohibition you support Organised crime ![/p][/quote]So who is paying these criminals for their weed, stoners support organised crime Dr Martin
  • Score: 3

2:54pm Wed 5 Feb 14

ManCityNo1 says...

Dr Martin wrote:
ManCityNo1 wrote:
Prohibition has been a total failure, it cause's the needless deaths of young people, it cause's the needless spread of disease and homelessness, it criminalises otherwise law abiding citizens, it cause's violent crime and makes some criminals very rich ! How can you say it has "worked quite well" ? Get real !
MDMA has been scientifically proven to be relatively benign on the human body and is quite safe to use, but because of prohibition young people die because they have taken PMA which is highly toxic ! How can you say it has "worked quite well" ? You are wrong !
If you support Prohibition you support Organised crime !
So who is paying these criminals for their weed, stoners support organised crime
No, supporters of Prohibition and you know it !
Not allowing a regulated system hands criminals all that Money. People are not going to stop smoking Cannabis, so if you don't want criminals having the money, you have to Legalise ! Prohibition doesn't work !
[quote][p][bold]Dr Martin[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]ManCityNo1[/bold] wrote: Prohibition has been a total failure, it cause's the needless deaths of young people, it cause's the needless spread of disease and homelessness, it criminalises otherwise law abiding citizens, it cause's violent crime and makes some criminals very rich ! How can you say it has "worked quite well" ? Get real ! MDMA has been scientifically proven to be relatively benign on the human body and is quite safe to use, but because of prohibition young people die because they have taken PMA which is highly toxic ! How can you say it has "worked quite well" ? You are wrong ! If you support Prohibition you support Organised crime ![/p][/quote]So who is paying these criminals for their weed, stoners support organised crime[/p][/quote]No, supporters of Prohibition and you know it ! Not allowing a regulated system hands criminals all that Money. People are not going to stop smoking Cannabis, so if you don't want criminals having the money, you have to Legalise ! Prohibition doesn't work ! ManCityNo1
  • Score: -7

3:04pm Wed 5 Feb 14

Dr Martin says...

You do not seem that bothered about handing criminals your cash to pay for your righteous weed.
Yeah get those exclamation marks out, how dare i question a pot head and his right to an illicit substance
You do not seem that bothered about handing criminals your cash to pay for your righteous weed. Yeah get those exclamation marks out, how dare i question a pot head and his right to an illicit substance Dr Martin
  • Score: 5

4:45pm Wed 5 Feb 14

Mr Bollo says...

Yup, that'll stop people smoking dope, won't it? After all, the war on drugs has been so successful in the past...

And as for the 'Matrix Serious Organised Crime' unit or whatever... someone has clearly been watching too many movies
Yup, that'll stop people smoking dope, won't it? After all, the war on drugs has been so successful in the past... And as for the 'Matrix Serious Organised Crime' unit or whatever... someone has clearly been watching too many movies Mr Bollo
  • Score: -6

10:21pm Wed 5 Feb 14

profondo asbo says...

our lives are so hollow and empty we need to escape the mundanity of our own existence yeah. hive five me macca
our lives are so hollow and empty we need to escape the mundanity of our own existence yeah. hive five me macca profondo asbo
  • Score: 3

10:31pm Wed 5 Feb 14

profondo asbo says...

brother can you spare a legal high?
brother can you spare a legal high? profondo asbo
  • Score: 3

10:38pm Wed 5 Feb 14

profondo asbo says...

ManCityNo1 wrote:
Prohibition has been a total failure, it cause's the needless deaths of young people, it cause's the needless spread of disease and homelessness, it criminalises otherwise law abiding citizens, it cause's violent crime and makes some criminals very rich ! How can you say it has "worked quite well" ? Get real !
MDMA has been scientifically proven to be relatively benign on the human body and is quite safe to use, but because of prohibition young people die because they have taken PMA which is highly toxic ! How can you say it has "worked quite well" ? You are wrong !
If you support Prohibition you support Organised crime !
the desperate pleadings of a dope dependant.
[quote][p][bold]ManCityNo1[/bold] wrote: Prohibition has been a total failure, it cause's the needless deaths of young people, it cause's the needless spread of disease and homelessness, it criminalises otherwise law abiding citizens, it cause's violent crime and makes some criminals very rich ! How can you say it has "worked quite well" ? Get real ! MDMA has been scientifically proven to be relatively benign on the human body and is quite safe to use, but because of prohibition young people die because they have taken PMA which is highly toxic ! How can you say it has "worked quite well" ? You are wrong ! If you support Prohibition you support Organised crime ![/p][/quote]the desperate pleadings of a dope dependant. profondo asbo
  • Score: 8

11:39am Fri 7 Feb 14

Dr Martin says...

Stick to talking about football, if I were you
Stick to talking about football, if I were you Dr Martin
  • Score: 3

12:54pm Fri 7 Feb 14

Dr Martin says...

ManCityNo1 wrote:
Dr Martin wrote:
ManCityNo1 wrote:
Prohibition has been a total failure, it cause's the needless deaths of young people, it cause's the needless spread of disease and homelessness, it criminalises otherwise law abiding citizens, it cause's violent crime and makes some criminals very rich ! How can you say it has "worked quite well" ? Get real !
MDMA has been scientifically proven to be relatively benign on the human body and is quite safe to use, but because of prohibition young people die because they have taken PMA which is highly toxic ! How can you say it has "worked quite well" ? You are wrong !
If you support Prohibition you support Organised crime !
So who is paying these criminals for their weed, stoners support organised crime
No, supporters of Prohibition and you know it !
Not allowing a regulated system hands criminals all that Money. People are not going to stop smoking Cannabis, so if you don't want criminals having the money, you have to Legalise ! Prohibition doesn't work !
let's try gain

Stick to talking about football, if I were you
[quote][p][bold]ManCityNo1[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Dr Martin[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]ManCityNo1[/bold] wrote: Prohibition has been a total failure, it cause's the needless deaths of young people, it cause's the needless spread of disease and homelessness, it criminalises otherwise law abiding citizens, it cause's violent crime and makes some criminals very rich ! How can you say it has "worked quite well" ? Get real ! MDMA has been scientifically proven to be relatively benign on the human body and is quite safe to use, but because of prohibition young people die because they have taken PMA which is highly toxic ! How can you say it has "worked quite well" ? You are wrong ! If you support Prohibition you support Organised crime ![/p][/quote]So who is paying these criminals for their weed, stoners support organised crime[/p][/quote]No, supporters of Prohibition and you know it ! Not allowing a regulated system hands criminals all that Money. People are not going to stop smoking Cannabis, so if you don't want criminals having the money, you have to Legalise ! Prohibition doesn't work ![/p][/quote]let's try gain Stick to talking about football, if I were you Dr Martin
  • Score: 3

12:54pm Fri 7 Feb 14

Dr Martin says...

ManCityNo1 wrote:
Dr Martin wrote:
ManCityNo1 wrote:
Prohibition has been a total failure, it cause's the needless deaths of young people, it cause's the needless spread of disease and homelessness, it criminalises otherwise law abiding citizens, it cause's violent crime and makes some criminals very rich ! How can you say it has "worked quite well" ? Get real !
MDMA has been scientifically proven to be relatively benign on the human body and is quite safe to use, but because of prohibition young people die because they have taken PMA which is highly toxic ! How can you say it has "worked quite well" ? You are wrong !
If you support Prohibition you support Organised crime !
So who is paying these criminals for their weed, stoners support organised crime
No, supporters of Prohibition and you know it !
Not allowing a regulated system hands criminals all that Money. People are not going to stop smoking Cannabis, so if you don't want criminals having the money, you have to Legalise ! Prohibition doesn't work !
let's try again

Stick to talking about football, if I were you
[quote][p][bold]ManCityNo1[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Dr Martin[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]ManCityNo1[/bold] wrote: Prohibition has been a total failure, it cause's the needless deaths of young people, it cause's the needless spread of disease and homelessness, it criminalises otherwise law abiding citizens, it cause's violent crime and makes some criminals very rich ! How can you say it has "worked quite well" ? Get real ! MDMA has been scientifically proven to be relatively benign on the human body and is quite safe to use, but because of prohibition young people die because they have taken PMA which is highly toxic ! How can you say it has "worked quite well" ? You are wrong ! If you support Prohibition you support Organised crime ![/p][/quote]So who is paying these criminals for their weed, stoners support organised crime[/p][/quote]No, supporters of Prohibition and you know it ! Not allowing a regulated system hands criminals all that Money. People are not going to stop smoking Cannabis, so if you don't want criminals having the money, you have to Legalise ! Prohibition doesn't work ![/p][/quote]let's try again Stick to talking about football, if I were you Dr Martin
  • Score: 0

7:55pm Fri 7 Feb 14

Positive thinker says...

Sounds like most of the people on this
blog are heavy users
Sounds like most of the people on this blog are heavy users Positive thinker
  • Score: 0

Comments are closed on this article.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree