Unattended tea-light candle cause of fire in Birkenhead flat

Unattended tea-light candle cause of fire in Birkenhead flat

Unattended tea-light candle cause of fire in Birkenhead flat

First published in News
Last updated

Two men were taken to hospital for check-ups following a fire started by an unattended tea-light candle.

Merseyside Fire & Rescue Service was called at around 2am today to a flat on Market Street, Birkenhead.

Watch manager Ben Flint, who attended the blaze with firefighters from Blue Watch at Wallasey, said: “This fire was caused by a tea-light candle which had been left burning unattended by a bed in the flat.

“Smoke alarms alerted the occupiers, and they evacuated the property.

“We advise candles are never left burning unattended and are placed on heat-proof bases, such as ceramic mats.

“We also advise people have working smoke alarms on each level of their home.”

Two men were taken to Arrowe Park Hospital by ambulance for precautionary check-ups.

Crews from Birkenhead, Wallasey and Liverpool city centre fire stations attended the incident and were at the scene for approximately 35 minutes.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree