Morning after drink-drive warning for New Year revellers

Wirral Globe: Morning after drink-drive warning for New Year revellers Morning after drink-drive warning for New Year revellers

Some revellers will drink so much to see in the new year that they will be potentially over the legal driving limit for nearly all of January 1, the AA has warned.

As many as 21% of people plan to drink at least 10 units of alcohol at New Year's Eve celebrations, potentially putting them still over the limit by 12 noon on New Year's Day.

Merseyside Police launched their annual Christmas drink-drive campaign at the beginning of December.

Officers advised they would target "morning after" drivers, taking enforcement action against those still over the legal drink-drive limit or not fit to drive through taking illegal substances.

The AA/Populus survey of more than 21,000 drivers also revealed that 2% would drink to such an extent that they risked being over the limit as late as 10pm on New Year's Day.

Of drivers aged 18-34, as many as 13% said they would knock back enough to still put them over the limit by 6pm on January 1, while driver s in Northern Ireland were most likely to say they would not be drinking at all.

Drivers in London and the North East of England were most likely to drink the most on New Year's Eve.

A separate AA/Populus survey earlier this year showed that 56% of drivers did not know when it was safe to get behind the wheel the morning after drinking.

Also, police figures showed that in 2011 more people failed breath tests between the hours of 6am and 11am than during the hour before or after midnight.

Jim Kirkwood, managing director of the AA Driving School, said: "Knowledge about the risks of drink-driving is generally fairly good, but this is not the case when it comes to the risk of drivers still being over the limit the morning after drinking.

"The best advice we can give is to avoid excessive drinking if you know you need to drive the following day."

Comments (14)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

11:28am Mon 30 Dec 13

Jack Boot says...

I've always been quite suspicious about this approach by the police, it seems to me as an easy hit for them by targetting those who have resisted to drink drive during the night by going after them in the morning.

I'd be really interested to see how many drink related accidents occurr in the mornings compared to the nights.....
I've always been quite suspicious about this approach by the police, it seems to me as an easy hit for them by targetting those who have resisted to drink drive during the night by going after them in the morning. I'd be really interested to see how many drink related accidents occurr in the mornings compared to the nights..... Jack Boot

12:28pm Mon 30 Dec 13

King Tut says...

No suspicion required, if you have drunk so much the night before that you still blow over the legal drink drive when driving the next morning, then you are still over the limit and under the influence, fact. If you want a VERY rough idea of when its safe a VERY VERY rough guide is that your body processes 1 unit of alcohol per hour (of course it is infulenced by weight body mass and general health). There are plenty of incidents that are attibuted to being under the influence the next day.
No suspicion required, if you have drunk so much the night before that you still blow over the legal drink drive when driving the next morning, then you are still over the limit and under the influence, fact. If you want a VERY rough idea of when its safe a VERY VERY rough guide is that your body processes 1 unit of alcohol per hour (of course it is infulenced by weight body mass and general health). There are plenty of incidents that are attibuted to being under the influence the next day. King Tut

1:12pm Mon 30 Dec 13

Jack Boot says...

Tut tut, What a sanctimonious comment, no facts no figures just self righteous cr8p.
Tut tut, What a sanctimonious comment, no facts no figures just self righteous cr8p. Jack Boot

1:51pm Mon 30 Dec 13

King Tut says...

Unfrotunatly Jack Boot its not self rightious cr@p, its all FACT.

It is a FACT that if you blow over 0.35 mg/L no matter what time of day or night and no matter when your last drink was, you are breaking the law, and that your ability to drive IS impared, FACT. in 2012 nearly 300 people died of a direct result of driving over the limit, FACT. Last year, 1,210 people involved in drink-drive accidents suffered serious injuries and 8,500 people were slightly injured. Among those killed in drink-drive accidents, most (68%) were drivers, motorcyclists and cyclists over the legal alcohol limit. The rest were other road users involved in the accident, but not necessarily over the legal limit themselves.

Is that enough FACTS and figures for you? It does not matter what time of day it happens its still an offence and wrecks lives of all concerned. If it takes a proactive approach from the police to deal with a growing problem, then I for one support it, or do you think they should be out arresting "real" criminals...... I personally dont care what your views are and you can call me all the names under the sun, all I have given here is FACTS.
Unfrotunatly Jack Boot its not self rightious cr@p, its all FACT. It is a FACT that if you blow over 0.35 mg/L no matter what time of day or night and no matter when your last drink was, you are breaking the law, and that your ability to drive IS impared, FACT. in 2012 nearly 300 people died of a direct result of driving over the limit, FACT. Last year, 1,210 people involved in drink-drive accidents suffered serious injuries and 8,500 people were slightly injured. Among those killed in drink-drive accidents, most (68%) were drivers, motorcyclists and cyclists over the legal alcohol limit. The rest were other road users involved in the accident, but not necessarily over the legal limit themselves. Is that enough FACTS and figures for you? It does not matter what time of day it happens its still an offence and wrecks lives of all concerned. If it takes a proactive approach from the police to deal with a growing problem, then I for one support it, or do you think they should be out arresting "real" criminals...... I personally dont care what your views are and you can call me all the names under the sun, all I have given here is FACTS. King Tut

2:11pm Mon 30 Dec 13

rover600 says...

Being over the .limit night of or day after is immaterial drink affects and impairs driving. I've driven as part of my job for at least 30 years, it really is not worth the risks involved and I can only imagine the lifetime of guilt anyone must suffer for being involved in or being the cause of an accident in which someone else dies. Pain in the backside as it is if i know i am driving the same night of drinking I will have one bottle of beer or one glass of wine (some would say that is too much) If i want more then I'll either drink at home and not drive the next morning or get cabs, trust me a cab fare is worth more than the life of misery to you and anyone you kill or injure. If you can afford to go out and get so hammered you are over the limit next day then you sure as hell can afford cabs. Be safe and not just at Xmas and New Year!
Being over the .limit night of or day after is immaterial drink affects and impairs driving. I've driven as part of my job for at least 30 years, it really is not worth the risks involved and I can only imagine the lifetime of guilt anyone must suffer for being involved in or being the cause of an accident in which someone else dies. Pain in the backside as it is if i know i am driving the same night of drinking I will have one bottle of beer or one glass of wine (some would say that is too much) If i want more then I'll either drink at home and not drive the next morning or get cabs, trust me a cab fare is worth more than the life of misery to you and anyone you kill or injure. If you can afford to go out and get so hammered you are over the limit next day then you sure as hell can afford cabs. Be safe and not just at Xmas and New Year! rover600

2:19pm Mon 30 Dec 13

Heycock says...

On the Merseyside the police routinely breathalyse drivers involved in accidents up till midday in ALL incidents they're called to. This happens all year, not just christmas. At Christmas they'll breathalyse any time of the day attending ANY incident whether or not an accident has occurred. They don't need much to make the test legal...."Sir/Madam I have reason to suspect...". So, the answer is don't do it. Taxis at christmas work out a lot cheaper than a drink driving conviction and the cost of insurance when you get your licence back. No, Jack Boot, I have no facts or figures, but if there was no correlation the police wouldn't waste their time. And i write this as someone who frequently sailed close to the wind. I was lucky not to get caught and could have had no complaints if i had been. There isn't a single driver out there who doesn't know the score.
We can argue the toss about whether an automatic ban is appropriate for a borderline result mid morning but that's the way it is. So live with it and don't take the chance!
On the Merseyside the police routinely breathalyse drivers involved in accidents up till midday in ALL incidents they're called to. This happens all year, not just christmas. At Christmas they'll breathalyse any time of the day attending ANY incident whether or not an accident has occurred. They don't need much to make the test legal...."Sir/Madam I have reason to suspect...". So, the answer is don't do it. Taxis at christmas work out a lot cheaper than a drink driving conviction and the cost of insurance when you get your licence back. No, Jack Boot, I have no facts or figures, but if there was no correlation the police wouldn't waste their time. And i write this as someone who frequently sailed close to the wind. I was lucky not to get caught and could have had no complaints if i had been. There isn't a single driver out there who doesn't know the score. We can argue the toss about whether an automatic ban is appropriate for a borderline result mid morning but that's the way it is. So live with it and don't take the chance! Heycock

4:12pm Mon 30 Dec 13

rover600 says...

Heycock wrote:
On the Merseyside the police routinely breathalyse drivers involved in accidents up till midday in ALL incidents they're called to. This happens all year, not just christmas. At Christmas they'll breathalyse any time of the day attending ANY incident whether or not an accident has occurred. They don't need much to make the test legal...."Sir/M
adam I have reason to suspect...". So, the answer is don't do it. Taxis at christmas work out a lot cheaper than a drink driving conviction and the cost of insurance when you get your licence back. No, Jack Boot, I have no facts or figures, but if there was no correlation the police wouldn't waste their time. And i write this as someone who frequently sailed close to the wind. I was lucky not to get caught and could have had no complaints if i had been. There isn't a single driver out there who doesn't know the score. We can argue the toss about whether an automatic ban is appropriate for a borderline result mid morning but that's the way it is. So live with it and don't take the chance!
It is a requirement of law that any driver involved in a 'Road traffic incident' 'where the Police attend' is breathalysed irrelevant of blame/cause/fault. The bottom line is you could be 'the innocent party and run into and some do gooder calls the Police, the driver who collides with you may be as sober as a judge and may then be reported for a driving offence but you would also be cautioned/arrested for being above the drink drive limit.

(it is not a requirement for the Police to attend every Road Traffic Incident (they don't call them accidents these days as the belief is someone is always to blame) i believe but may be wrong that it is a lawful requirement for the Police to be called to an RTI where any person sustains an injury...

As above, just don't do it, it truly is not worth the risk.
[quote][p][bold]Heycock[/bold] wrote: On the Merseyside the police routinely breathalyse drivers involved in accidents up till midday in ALL incidents they're called to. This happens all year, not just christmas. At Christmas they'll breathalyse any time of the day attending ANY incident whether or not an accident has occurred. They don't need much to make the test legal...."Sir/M adam I have reason to suspect...". So, the answer is don't do it. Taxis at christmas work out a lot cheaper than a drink driving conviction and the cost of insurance when you get your licence back. No, Jack Boot, I have no facts or figures, but if there was no correlation the police wouldn't waste their time. And i write this as someone who frequently sailed close to the wind. I was lucky not to get caught and could have had no complaints if i had been. There isn't a single driver out there who doesn't know the score. We can argue the toss about whether an automatic ban is appropriate for a borderline result mid morning but that's the way it is. So live with it and don't take the chance![/p][/quote]It is a requirement of law that any driver involved in a 'Road traffic incident' 'where the Police attend' is breathalysed irrelevant of blame/cause/fault. The bottom line is you could be 'the innocent party and run into and some do gooder calls the Police, the driver who collides with you may be as sober as a judge and may then be reported for a driving offence but you would also be cautioned/arrested for being above the drink drive limit. (it is not a requirement for the Police to attend every Road Traffic Incident (they don't call them accidents these days as the belief is someone is always to blame) i believe but may be wrong that it is a lawful requirement for the Police to be called to an RTI where any person sustains an injury... As above, just don't do it, it truly is not worth the risk. rover600

4:17pm Mon 30 Dec 13

Jack Boot says...

Lies, **** lies and statisitics... so I'll pull info from the same website.
simple facts 2012 - 290 died due to drink driving, in 1979 it was 1700, total deaths in 2012 - 1750, so total road deaths caused by drink driving = 16.5%.

My point is that drink driving causes the minority of road deaths, but must take up much police resources trying to reduce an already low number.

And whilst there is no comparison to the carnage experienced to the lives of those who are victims of this crime, there have been many a life destroyed by providing a positive test whilst stuck in traffic trying to get to work the next day.
Lies, **** lies and statisitics... so I'll pull info from the same website. simple facts 2012 - 290 died due to drink driving, in 1979 it was 1700, total deaths in 2012 - 1750, so total road deaths caused by drink driving = 16.5%. My point is that drink driving causes the minority of road deaths, but must take up much police resources trying to reduce an already low number. And whilst there is no comparison to the carnage experienced to the lives of those who are victims of this crime, there have been many a life destroyed by providing a positive test whilst stuck in traffic trying to get to work the next day. Jack Boot

5:30pm Mon 30 Dec 13

steady cyclist says...

DONT DRINK AND DRIVE, ITS NOT BIG ITS NOT CLEVER, AND THE RESULTS CAN LEAD TO DEATHS,INJURIES,LOSS OF JOB AND MARITAL BREAKDOWN.
A CRIMINAL RECORD,LARGE FINE,AND YOULL STILL HAVE TO KEEP PAYING HP ON YOUR VEHICLE.

IS IT WORTH ITNO,thousands find that out each year.
DONT DRINK AND DRIVE, ITS NOT BIG ITS NOT CLEVER, AND THE RESULTS CAN LEAD TO DEATHS,INJURIES,LOSS OF JOB AND MARITAL BREAKDOWN. A CRIMINAL RECORD,LARGE FINE,AND YOULL STILL HAVE TO KEEP PAYING HP ON YOUR VEHICLE. IS IT WORTH ITNO,thousands find that out each year. steady cyclist

6:06pm Mon 30 Dec 13

cb2006 says...

Jack Boot wrote:
Lies, **** lies and statisitics... so I'll pull info from the same website.
simple facts 2012 - 290 died due to drink driving, in 1979 it was 1700, total deaths in 2012 - 1750, so total road deaths caused by drink driving = 16.5%.

My point is that drink driving causes the minority of road deaths, but must take up much police resources trying to reduce an already low number.

And whilst there is no comparison to the carnage experienced to the lives of those who are victims of this crime, there have been many a life destroyed by providing a positive test whilst stuck in traffic trying to get to work the next day.
if total road deaths caused by drink driving is 16.5%
that statistically that means 83.5% of road deaths are caused by a sober person.

maybe its safer to drink....
[quote][p][bold]Jack Boot[/bold] wrote: Lies, **** lies and statisitics... so I'll pull info from the same website. simple facts 2012 - 290 died due to drink driving, in 1979 it was 1700, total deaths in 2012 - 1750, so total road deaths caused by drink driving = 16.5%. My point is that drink driving causes the minority of road deaths, but must take up much police resources trying to reduce an already low number. And whilst there is no comparison to the carnage experienced to the lives of those who are victims of this crime, there have been many a life destroyed by providing a positive test whilst stuck in traffic trying to get to work the next day.[/p][/quote]if total road deaths caused by drink driving is 16.5% that statistically that means 83.5% of road deaths are caused by a sober person. maybe its safer to drink.... cb2006

7:25pm Mon 30 Dec 13

King Tut says...

Jack Boot: what a load of drivel, well done for finding the facts, If you look at the same website you will see while the rate has indeed dropped since 1979, the figures have gone up since 2010, so spin it any way you want, but its going up isn't it!

You say " there have been many a life destroyed by providing a positive test whilst stuck in traffic trying to get to work the next day." oh so you stand by your original premise to this discussion that its ok to drink under the influence of alcohol! If they blow over the limit, they are breaking the law, and by being caught, it may have saved their life or their own. This isn't rocket science, if your going to drive the next day then ensure your not going to be over the limit, then there will not be a problem and you will not be putting your job, you life or someone else's life at risk.
Jack Boot: what a load of drivel, well done for finding the facts, If you look at the same website you will see while the rate has indeed dropped since 1979, the figures have gone up since 2010, so spin it any way you want, but its going up isn't it! You say " there have been many a life destroyed by providing a positive test whilst stuck in traffic trying to get to work the next day." oh so you stand by your original premise to this discussion that its ok to drink under the influence of alcohol! If they blow over the limit, they are breaking the law, and by being caught, it may have saved their life or their own. This isn't rocket science, if your going to drive the next day then ensure your not going to be over the limit, then there will not be a problem and you will not be putting your job, you life or someone else's life at risk. King Tut

10:34am Tue 31 Dec 13

Heycock says...

Jack Boot wrote:
Lies, **** lies and statisitics... so I'll pull info from the same website.
simple facts 2012 - 290 died due to drink driving, in 1979 it was 1700, total deaths in 2012 - 1750, so total road deaths caused by drink driving = 16.5%.

My point is that drink driving causes the minority of road deaths, but must take up much police resources trying to reduce an already low number.

And whilst there is no comparison to the carnage experienced to the lives of those who are victims of this crime, there have been many a life destroyed by providing a positive test whilst stuck in traffic trying to get to work the next day.
Jack Boot.....if a driver's life has been destroyed by a drink driving conviction, then there's only one person to blame. And the driver can see who by looking in the mirror every morning of his/her destroyed life. It's an entirely self-inflicted self-destruction. Yes, there are many self-pitying banned drivers out there but whose fault? Every year we have this argument and the remedy is always the same. Don't do it.
[quote][p][bold]Jack Boot[/bold] wrote: Lies, **** lies and statisitics... so I'll pull info from the same website. simple facts 2012 - 290 died due to drink driving, in 1979 it was 1700, total deaths in 2012 - 1750, so total road deaths caused by drink driving = 16.5%. My point is that drink driving causes the minority of road deaths, but must take up much police resources trying to reduce an already low number. And whilst there is no comparison to the carnage experienced to the lives of those who are victims of this crime, there have been many a life destroyed by providing a positive test whilst stuck in traffic trying to get to work the next day.[/p][/quote]Jack Boot.....if a driver's life has been destroyed by a drink driving conviction, then there's only one person to blame. And the driver can see who by looking in the mirror every morning of his/her destroyed life. It's an entirely self-inflicted self-destruction. Yes, there are many self-pitying banned drivers out there but whose fault? Every year we have this argument and the remedy is always the same. Don't do it. Heycock

4:14pm Tue 31 Dec 13

PaulCa says...

Unless you're "well-connected" - in the rolling up of the correct trouser leg stakes, it really is NOT worth it.
Unless you're "well-connected" - in the rolling up of the correct trouser leg stakes, it really is NOT worth it. PaulCa

5:58pm Wed 1 Jan 14

keen gardener says...

Showing my age perhaps but...I remember the driving antics before the breathalyser was introduced!! Law of the Land: Don't drink and drive! As simple as that.

It is just a shame that there are those in society who decide to ignore this Law plus others...ie Highway Code, Benefit system, NHS system, Tax system etc etc....in fact anyone who does not appreciate RIGHT from WRONG....or anyone who is confused by RIGHT or LEFT and decides to sit in the middle or push the boat out and ignore all. Sick to death of it all.

Rant over!
Showing my age perhaps but...I remember the driving antics before the breathalyser was introduced!! Law of the Land: Don't drink and drive! As simple as that. It is just a shame that there are those in society who decide to ignore this Law plus others...ie Highway Code, Benefit system, NHS system, Tax system etc etc....in fact anyone who does not appreciate RIGHT from WRONG....or anyone who is confused by RIGHT or LEFT and decides to sit in the middle or push the boat out and ignore all. Sick to death of it all. Rant over! keen gardener

Comments are closed on this article.

click2find

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree