Send us news by text, start your message Globe News and your send photos and videos to 80360
Smoke alarm alerts resident to Wirral chimney fire
9:20am Thursday 31st October 2013 in News
SMOKE alarms alerted the occupier of a house in Eastham to a fire involving the lining of a chimney last night.
Crews from Bromborough and Birkenhead Fire stations were called to a property in Eastham Village Road just before midnight.
Firefighters extinguished the small fire and checked for fire spread using thermal imaging cameras.
Part of the inside of the chimney lining was damaged by fire. There was also some light smoke damage to part of a kitchen.
Watch Manager Simon Ashton, who attended the call-out with Green Watch from Bromborough Community Fire Station, said: "In this case there was a large build-up of combustible materials in the chimney which had not been swept and this caused the fire.
"We advise, particularly with the approach of winter, that people have their chimneys swept before using log or coal burning fires.
"Smoke alarms alerted the occupier and we advise people have working smoke alarms on each level of their home. The occupier had evacuated the property before we arrived."
Comments are closed on this article.