Send us news by text, start your message Globe News and your send photos and videos to 80360
Unattended pan of food thought to have caused Wirral kitchen fire
9:12am Friday 11th October 2013 in News
SMOKE alarms alerted people to a kitchen fire in Claughton last night.
Firefighters were called to an address near Shrewsbury Road in Claughton at around 9pm.
The suspected cause of the fire was a pan of food that had been left unattended.
The kitchen was moderately damaged by smoke and the pan of food was severely damaged by fire.
Crews from Birkenhead and Upton fire stations attended the incident.
Watch manager Terry Murphy, who is with White Watch at Birkenhead Fire Station, said: "Although the fire was out when we arrived smoke alarms alerted those in the building and gave early warning of the risk which was there.
"People in the building did the right thing and evacuated. We advise that if people discover a fire they get out, stay out and call 999 and await our arrival.
"We also advise people have working smoke alarms on each level of their home and they test them each week by pressing the test button.
"We advise cooking is never left unattended even for a moment. One of the focus days last week for our first Fire Safety Week was kitchen fires and we continue to work in our communities to spread and highlight fire safety messages to help make communities safer."
Comments are closed on this article.