Send us news by text, start your message Globe News and your send photos and videos to 80360
Tea light candle thought to have caused fire at Wirral house
10:57am Tuesday 17th September 2013 in News
HOUSEHOLDERS are being warned not to leave tea light candles burning unattended following a fire in Poulton this morning.
Firefighters were called to a house in Surrey Street at around 7.30am.
The fire, which was out by the time they arrived, is thought to have been caused by tea light candle that had been left lit and unattended near a roller blind.
Watch manager Steve Dawson, who attended the call-out with White Watch from Wallasey fire station, said: "We advise candles are never left burning unattended and are placed away from other materials that could catch on fire.
"Tea light candles and other candles should be placed on a ceramic base so that the heat from them does not cause fire. "Tea lights should also never be placed on top of items such as televisions."
The roller blind was severely damaged by fire and there was some mild heat damage to a window.
Firefighters carried out a Home Fire Safety Check and fitted two smoke alarms.
There was also some light smoke damage to the room where the fire started. Firefighters left the scene by around 8am.
Comments are closed on this article.