Send us news by text, start your message Globe News and your send photos and videos to 80360
Glittering night for Wirral Business award winners
12:18pm Monday 16th September 2013 in News
THE best of Wirral's businesses were recognised in a special ceremony on Friday.
The Wirral Business Awards 2013, hosted by BBC Radio Merseyside’s Roger Phillips, were attended by more 450 leading figures in the region’s business world, who gathered at Birkenhead School to applaud the winners of the 14 award categories.
The award categories included award accolades for Business Person, Innovation, Community, Exporter, Low Carbon, Maritime, Business Newcomer, and three Business of the Year awards judged on the nominees employee size.
The prestigious Think Big Award, given by Wirral Council, went to Birkenhead based call centre, The Contact Company, which is one of Wirral’s largest office based employees.
Other highlights of the evening saw Cammell Laird receive the Business of the Year Award (50+ employees), John Laidlaw, Managing Director of Dantec Ltd was awarded Business Person of the Year, and for Prenton based Sovex Systems work in overseas markets won it the Exporter of the Year award.
Organised by Wirral Business Partnership, the event highlighted the excellence, innovation and entrepreneurial spirit of Wirral’s companies - both large and small - demonstrating once again the rich diversity of talent that exists in the borough.
Paula Basnett, chief executive of Wirral Business Partnership said: "The diversity of the awards applications demonstrated the range of businesses in Wirral. We were very impressed with the positive outlook taken by the applicants in such an uncertain economic climate.
"The award winners in particular showed that they are driving our economy forward, and because of them we can look forward to a very bright future together in Wirral.
"It is in each of our Wirral businesses DNA to want to win – that’s what makes them so successful.”
The full list of award winners is as follows:
- Business of the Year (1-10 employees): Ultromex Ltd.
- Business of the Year (11-49 employees): Smylie Ltd.
- Business of the Year (50+ employees): Cammell Laird.
- Community Business of the Year: Recipro.
- Exporter of the Year: Sovex Systems.
- Innovation Award: Cabfind Ltd.
- Low Carbon Award: Fleetsolve.
- Maritime Award: SeaKing Electrical.
- Newcomer of the Year: B&M Secure Shredding.
- People Development: Magenta Living.
- Sustainability Award: Heap and Partners.
- Visitor Economy Business of the Year: – Floral Pavilion Theatre and Conference Centre.
- Business Person of the Year: John Laidlaw (Dantec)
- Think Big Award: The Contact Company.
Among the guests were council leader Phil Davies, Deputy Mayor Steve Foulkes, Mark Basnett of Liverpool City Region LEP, and Asif Hamid, Chair of Wirral Business Partnership.
Additionally, more than £1,700 was raised in raffle donations in aid of Wirral Business Partnership’s chosen charity for this year’s event, WEB – Women’s Enterprising Breakthrough.
The event was sponsored by Cammell Laird, The Contact Company and Park Group.
Comments are closed on this article.