Send us news by text, start your message Globe News and your send photos and videos to 80360
UPDATE: Residents' shock after suspcet package forces evacuation in Beechwood
6:23pm Thursday 12th September 2013 in News
RESIDENTS in Beechwood have spoken of their shock after being evacuated from their homes following the discovery of a suspicious package earlier today.
A block of flats in Bude Close was evacuated after police were called to reports that a package had been found. A resident discovered it by his door at around 9am.
He subsequently called police at 1pm and officers were deployed to the scene. Unconfirmed reports say the package has been destroyed by a bomb disposal unit.
The flats in Bude Close remain evacuated and an area around the flats, including a number of roads, remain cordonned off as a precaution.
The main road Fender Way is still closed both ways this evening.
Residents have been evacuated to Beechwood community centre.
Everyone else was told to stay indoors.
No-one has been injured during the incident, which is on-going.
Dave Edwards, who lives in Bude Close with wife Wendy, told the Globe: "I've lived here for five years and this is the first time anything like this has happened. It's a shock."
Another, who asked not to be named, said: "We'd been out and the first we knew that anything was wrong was when we were going home to pick up some things for the baby.
"We were told by the police that we couldn't go home and had to wait in the community centre."
Another said: "I'm diabetic, have Chron's Disease and needed my medication. I wasn't allowed to go home and get it because of the evacuation.
"It's frustrating because we can't get home."
Comments are closed on this article.