Send us news by text, start your message Globe News and your send photos and videos to 80360
Wirral bedroom fire thought to have been started by discarded cigarette
9:29am Tuesday 20th August 2013 in News
A DISCARDED cigarette is thought to have caused a fire in the first floor bedroom of a house in Oxton on Monday night.
Firefighters were called to an address in Eccleston Close at around midnight.
They entered the property and extinguished the fire using a high pressure hose. The fire was extinguished by 12.05am.
Around 30% of the bedroom was severely damaged by fire and the whole of the room was severely damaged by smoke. Smoke alarms were present and activated.
Crews from Birkenhead and Upton fire station attended the call-out.
Watch Manager Kevin Hollis, who attended the call-out with Green Watch from Birkenhead Community Fire Station, said: "The suspected cause of the fire was accidental.
"It is suspected that a discarded cigarette was the suspected cause of the fire.
"We always advise that cigarettes are extinguished fully and that any cigarette ends are cold before being moved from ashtrays into bins.
"We also advise people have smoke alarms fitted on each level of their home."
Comments are closed on this article.