A WIRRAL man died after accidentally overdosing on painkillers for toothache.

Robert Nevin, of Egerton Street, New Brighton, passed away at Arrowe Park Hospital on May 21 after being admitted nine days earlier, an inquest heard.

The inquiry into his death, which was held at Leasowe Millennium Centre on Thursday, was told how the 64-year-old had taken 7g of painkillers in just ten hours in a bid to soothe toothache pain.

Coroner’s officer Donald Johnston said: “Mr Nevin was admitted to hospital in a conscious state from his home address on May 12. 

“His liver and kidney function deteriorated and on May 14 he was transferred to the intensive therapy unit. On May 15 he had a brief cardiac arrest from which he was revived.”

He added: “He had consumed 7g of paracetamol in 10 hours, which is above the daily maximum of 4g in 24 hours.”

A post-mortem examination revealed that Mr Nevin died as a result of hepatic and renal failure due to paracetamol toxicity and alcoholism.

Recording a conclusion of accidental death, Wirral senior coroner Christopher Johnson said: “The deceased had evidently been taking the paracetamol regularly in a short space of time in an effort to alleviate toothache pain.

“In alcoholics, a low dose can be fatal.

"There is no evidence that the deceased took them with the intention of harming himself or taking his own life.

"It’s clear he consumed them but I accept he did it to alleviate pain and wouldn’t have known the danger of taking it because of his condition of alcohol misuse.”