Send us news by text, start your message Globe News and your send photos and videos to 80360
Toaster catches fire in Wirral house
4:03pm Thursday 14th March 2013 in News
SMOKE alarms alerted the occupier of a house in Pensby to a fire involving a toaster today.
Firefighters were called to the property in Ashlea Road, Pensby just before 10am.
Around 80% of the toaster was damaged by fire and there was mild smoke damage to the kitchen.
A crew from Upton fire station attended the call-out.
Watch Manager Mark Pilling, who is based at Heswall Community Fire Station and attended the call-out, said: "The fire involved an electrical toaster in a ground floor kitchen and smoke alarms activated and alerted the occupier to the fire.
"We advise that people have working smoke alarms on each level of their home and they do not leave cooking unattended, even if it is toast in a toaster.
"We also advise that if you are going to use a toaster that you make sure you clear the crumb tray after use."