Send us news by text, start your message Globe News and your send photos and videos to 80360
Man taken to hospital following Wirral house fire 'caused by cigarette'
A discarded cigarette is being blamed as the cause of a fire in the bedroom of a house in Prenton.
Firefighters were called to a house in Layton Avenue just after 10pm last Thursday.
The occupant was alerted by a smoke alarm.
He was taken to hospital for a precautionary check-up.
A spokesman for Merseyside Fire & Rescue Service said: “The occupier did the right thing and left the property on discovery of the fire.
"The cause of the fire in this case was as a result of smoking in bed and a carelessly discarded cigarette.
“We advise people to make sure cigarettes are fully extinguished and people should not smoke near flammable materials or on the first floor or in any bedrooms.
Crews from Upton and Birkenhead Fire Stations attended.