9:11am Tuesday 5th March 2013
A MAN was taken to hospital suffering from the effects of inhaling smoke following a fire at his Seacombe home on Monday.
Firefighters were called to Oakdale Road just after 3.50pm and found the ground-floor front room well alight.
The 43-year-old occupant had already managed to get out of the house and was taken to Arrowe Park Hospital.
It is believed he was alerted to the fire by a smoke alarm.
Two engines from Wallasey and a crew from Birkenhead attended and contained the blaze to the front room, which was extensively damaged.
Merseyside Fire & Rescue Service group manager Rob Pritchard said: "Our crews did an excellent job in containing it to the one room. There was no fire spread and the man has been very lucky to escape.
"A smoke alarm can give valuable seconds to escape."
© Copyright 2001-2013 Newsquest Media Group