Revealed: Wirral's 'foulest' areas for dog mess

Revealed: Wirral's 'foulest' areas for dog mess

Revealed: Wirral's 'foulest' areas for dog mess

First published in News
Last updated
by , Geoff Barnes

More than 406 complaints about dog dirt have been lodged with Wirral Council since last April - and Seacombe, Bidston and St James, Liscard, Birkenhead and Tranmere have been identified as the borough’s “foulest” areas.

Wardens have issued 137 fixed penalty notices for dog fouling; 20 for litter offences and 50 written warnings.

One offender was taken to court and was fined £100 and ordered to pay £175 court costs.

Children are particularly vulnerable to contracting the infection toxocariasis from dog dirt.

Wirral Council’s ten-strong dog fouling enforcement team uses bicycles, local authority vehicles and public transport to travel across the peninsula.

On patrol they have identified 6,073 incidents needing action, including safety issues, exposed wires on lampposts, uneven pavements, fly tipping , graffiti and criminal damage.

The team identified more than 730 instances of graffiti, of which 119 were so offensive they had to be removed on the same day.

The also brought to the attention of the local authority technical services department 1832 tripping hazards and 647 instances of foothpath obstruction.

Upton, Clatterbridge, Leasowe and Moreton East, Prenton, Hoylake and Meols were also identified as problem areas. Areas with the lowest recorded number of dog fouling complaints included Heswall, West Kirby and Thurstaston, Claughton and Bebington.

Wirral Council’s sustainable communities overview and scrutiny committee were told at last week’s meeting that the dog fouling team could be cut from 10 to two as part of the council’s economy measures.

Councillors were told that if the measure was agreed it could have an impact on the level of dog fouling enforcement in the borough.

A report suggests, however, that the situation could be mitigated by the use of other streetscene-based officers taking on multi-tasking duties.

Comments (15)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

1:45pm Fri 1 Feb 13

Thepleb says...

I think the council should focus more on cleaning the dog muck up.
Enforcement no matter how many officers you have is going to stop this,more education is needed and badly affected areas ie seacombe prom need to be cleaned more regularly.
Dog fouling/litter enforcement is a worthy task but at this moment front line services need to be saved and the council should get an outside company to clean the streets of the Wirral of the dog muck.
I think the council should focus more on cleaning the dog muck up. Enforcement no matter how many officers you have is going to stop this,more education is needed and badly affected areas ie seacombe prom need to be cleaned more regularly. Dog fouling/litter enforcement is a worthy task but at this moment front line services need to be saved and the council should get an outside company to clean the streets of the Wirral of the dog muck. Thepleb
  • Score: 0

9:22pm Fri 1 Feb 13

steady cyclist says...

Seacombe ferry to new brighton and onto the lightouse at Lesowe, absolutely covered in dog pooh or full bags,and bins usually overflowing, not that theyre ever used to deposits mutleys pooh into.

At least tghe small fines may help reduce the current administrations defict, not by a lot but every little helps...
Seacombe ferry to new brighton and onto the lightouse at Lesowe, absolutely covered in dog pooh or full bags,and bins usually overflowing, not that theyre ever used to deposits mutleys pooh into. At least tghe small fines may help reduce the current administrations defict, not by a lot but every little helps... steady cyclist
  • Score: 0

9:37am Sat 2 Feb 13

Thepleb says...

Those small fines 137 of them only bring in £6-7000.
The cost of the dog warden service 10 officers and manager £300,000.
They wonder why this council is going bust.
Those small fines 137 of them only bring in £6-7000. The cost of the dog warden service 10 officers and manager £300,000. They wonder why this council is going bust. Thepleb
  • Score: 0

3:22pm Sat 2 Feb 13

Dave the Dog says...

Thepleb wrote:
Those small fines 137 of them only bring in £6-7000.
The cost of the dog warden service 10 officers and manager £300,000.
They wonder why this council is going bust.
Check your info again. You are getting mixed up between the Animal Control/Kennels Service and the Fouling Enforcement Team. They are two seperate entities. The fouling team are part of the Community Patrol Service responsible for fouling, litter etc. enforcement. The Animal Control and Kennels are responsible for dealing with stray and dangerous dogs, licensing of pet shops, boarding facilities and other animal establishments, Rabies control etc.. They are now, after previous staff cuts, down to one Animal Control Officer, one Manager (Who doubles up as an ACO and also works in the Kennels when needed) one part time clerk and two full time and one part time Kennel staff. More than value for money when you consider they provide a Service 24 Hrs a day, 365 days of the year. Overworked and sort staffed. Working with and looking after animals is never a 9-5 Monday to Friday Job. They are also under threat of closure with the possibility of a private contractor being taken on. Dogs would be taken to the Merseyside Consortium Kennels outside Halewood. The euthanasia of unclaimed stray dogs would sky rocket because owners would be unwilling or unable to make the trip to even see if their dog was there never mind pay the higher fees.
If you can, cast your mind back to pre 1988 and the packs of stray dogs that used to roam all areas of the borough threatening and attacking people. This Service will be massively missed if it goes. Even in the financially challenged years after WW2 Birkenhead Corporation managed to provide a stray Kennels. The same Kennels which are now under threat. Modern officials seem to know the cost of everything and the value of nothing.
[quote][p][bold]Thepleb[/bold] wrote: Those small fines 137 of them only bring in £6-7000. The cost of the dog warden service 10 officers and manager £300,000. They wonder why this council is going bust.[/p][/quote]Check your info again. You are getting mixed up between the Animal Control/Kennels Service and the Fouling Enforcement Team. They are two seperate entities. The fouling team are part of the Community Patrol Service responsible for fouling, litter etc. enforcement. The Animal Control and Kennels are responsible for dealing with stray and dangerous dogs, licensing of pet shops, boarding facilities and other animal establishments, Rabies control etc.. They are now, after previous staff cuts, down to one Animal Control Officer, one Manager (Who doubles up as an ACO and also works in the Kennels when needed) one part time clerk and two full time and one part time Kennel staff. More than value for money when you consider they provide a Service 24 Hrs a day, 365 days of the year. Overworked and sort staffed. Working with and looking after animals is never a 9-5 Monday to Friday Job. They are also under threat of closure with the possibility of a private contractor being taken on. Dogs would be taken to the Merseyside Consortium Kennels outside Halewood. The euthanasia of unclaimed stray dogs would sky rocket because owners would be unwilling or unable to make the trip to even see if their dog was there never mind pay the higher fees. If you can, cast your mind back to pre 1988 and the packs of stray dogs that used to roam all areas of the borough threatening and attacking people. This Service will be massively missed if it goes. Even in the financially challenged years after WW2 Birkenhead Corporation managed to provide a stray Kennels. The same Kennels which are now under threat. Modern officials seem to know the cost of everything and the value of nothing. Dave the Dog
  • Score: 0

7:07pm Sat 2 Feb 13

bluey says...

Its disgusting, have a look at the park in New Ferry where kids regularly play football, disgraceful
Its disgusting, have a look at the park in New Ferry where kids regularly play football, disgraceful bluey
  • Score: 0

8:09pm Sat 2 Feb 13

benjIWOO says...

I saw a warden giving somebody a fine in New Ferry the other week and I was made up! It really is disgusting when you stand in it! Its great to hear that these wardens are giving out fines!I hope the Council keep the wardens who are catching these irresponsible dog owners.
I saw a warden giving somebody a fine in New Ferry the other week and I was made up! It really is disgusting when you stand in it! Its great to hear that these wardens are giving out fines!I hope the Council keep the wardens who are catching these irresponsible dog owners. benjIWOO
  • Score: 0

11:33am Sun 3 Feb 13

Thepleb says...

Dave the Dog wrote:
Thepleb wrote:
Those small fines 137 of them only bring in £6-7000.
The cost of the dog warden service 10 officers and manager £300,000.
They wonder why this council is going bust.
Check your info again. You are getting mixed up between the Animal Control/Kennels Service and the Fouling Enforcement Team. They are two seperate entities. The fouling team are part of the Community Patrol Service responsible for fouling, litter etc. enforcement. The Animal Control and Kennels are responsible for dealing with stray and dangerous dogs, licensing of pet shops, boarding facilities and other animal establishments, Rabies control etc.. They are now, after previous staff cuts, down to one Animal Control Officer, one Manager (Who doubles up as an ACO and also works in the Kennels when needed) one part time clerk and two full time and one part time Kennel staff. More than value for money when you consider they provide a Service 24 Hrs a day, 365 days of the year. Overworked and sort staffed. Working with and looking after animals is never a 9-5 Monday to Friday Job. They are also under threat of closure with the possibility of a private contractor being taken on. Dogs would be taken to the Merseyside Consortium Kennels outside Halewood. The euthanasia of unclaimed stray dogs would sky rocket because owners would be unwilling or unable to make the trip to even see if their dog was there never mind pay the higher fees.
If you can, cast your mind back to pre 1988 and the packs of stray dogs that used to roam all areas of the borough threatening and attacking people. This Service will be massively missed if it goes. Even in the financially challenged years after WW2 Birkenhead Corporation managed to provide a stray Kennels. The same Kennels which are now under threat. Modern officials seem to know the cost of everything and the value of nothing.
sorry dave the dog it was the fouling enforcement team I was writing about,
[quote][p][bold]Dave the Dog[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Thepleb[/bold] wrote: Those small fines 137 of them only bring in £6-7000. The cost of the dog warden service 10 officers and manager £300,000. They wonder why this council is going bust.[/p][/quote]Check your info again. You are getting mixed up between the Animal Control/Kennels Service and the Fouling Enforcement Team. They are two seperate entities. The fouling team are part of the Community Patrol Service responsible for fouling, litter etc. enforcement. The Animal Control and Kennels are responsible for dealing with stray and dangerous dogs, licensing of pet shops, boarding facilities and other animal establishments, Rabies control etc.. They are now, after previous staff cuts, down to one Animal Control Officer, one Manager (Who doubles up as an ACO and also works in the Kennels when needed) one part time clerk and two full time and one part time Kennel staff. More than value for money when you consider they provide a Service 24 Hrs a day, 365 days of the year. Overworked and sort staffed. Working with and looking after animals is never a 9-5 Monday to Friday Job. They are also under threat of closure with the possibility of a private contractor being taken on. Dogs would be taken to the Merseyside Consortium Kennels outside Halewood. The euthanasia of unclaimed stray dogs would sky rocket because owners would be unwilling or unable to make the trip to even see if their dog was there never mind pay the higher fees. If you can, cast your mind back to pre 1988 and the packs of stray dogs that used to roam all areas of the borough threatening and attacking people. This Service will be massively missed if it goes. Even in the financially challenged years after WW2 Birkenhead Corporation managed to provide a stray Kennels. The same Kennels which are now under threat. Modern officials seem to know the cost of everything and the value of nothing.[/p][/quote]sorry dave the dog it was the fouling enforcement team I was writing about, Thepleb
  • Score: 0

8:22pm Sun 3 Feb 13

saffyWOOWOO says...

The dog fouling enforcement team do a great job in my local area; I live in one of the areas identified as worst offenders for dog fouling and things have certainly improved since the enforcement officers have been out on the streets. I hope you are given the chance to keep up the good work, much appreciated!!
The dog fouling enforcement team do a great job in my local area; I live in one of the areas identified as worst offenders for dog fouling and things have certainly improved since the enforcement officers have been out on the streets. I hope you are given the chance to keep up the good work, much appreciated!! saffyWOOWOO
  • Score: 0

7:05pm Tue 5 Feb 13

bickyboy says...

Can I urge the dog fouling enforcement team to spend a bit more time in the areas where currently there ISN'T a particular problem? Just to send a message to those who are tempted to return to their bad habits of leaving canine ordure rotting on the pavement that this is no time to be complacent.

And can we also have a "cat fouling enforcement team"?
Can I urge the dog fouling enforcement team to spend a bit more time in the areas where currently there ISN'T a particular problem? Just to send a message to those who are tempted to return to their bad habits of leaving canine ordure rotting on the pavement that this is no time to be complacent. And can we also have a "cat fouling enforcement team"? bickyboy
  • Score: 0

7:13pm Tue 5 Feb 13

Thepleb says...

No mention in a cut to the dog fouling manager who if this happens will be overseeing two staff?
Another cut from the bottom rungs of the ladder while the highly paid,under worked manager keeps his position patrolling liscard bakeries every lunch time.
No mention in a cut to the dog fouling manager who if this happens will be overseeing two staff? Another cut from the bottom rungs of the ladder while the highly paid,under worked manager keeps his position patrolling liscard bakeries every lunch time. Thepleb
  • Score: 0

10:19pm Wed 6 Feb 13

Positive thinker says...

A fixed penalty for the dog owner,what about a cork for the dog
A fixed penalty for the dog owner,what about a cork for the dog Positive thinker
  • Score: 0

11:04pm Sat 9 Feb 13

Spotthedoggie says...

Thepleb wrote:
No mention in a cut to the dog fouling manager who if this happens will be overseeing two staff?
Another cut from the bottom rungs of the ladder while the highly paid,under worked manager keeps his position patrolling liscard bakeries every lunch time.
I note that Thepleb told in a previous comment that an EVR package of only £16k would is hardly of lottery win levels. Further there was concern for their family and bills. A valid concern, rightly pointed out.
I would imagine the "dog fouling manager" has their own family and bills to pay and sneakily trying to offer someone else up for the chop, (probably for personal benefit) is pretty low.
I wish Thepleb a happy and appropriate Chinese New Year.
[quote][p][bold]Thepleb[/bold] wrote: No mention in a cut to the dog fouling manager who if this happens will be overseeing two staff? Another cut from the bottom rungs of the ladder while the highly paid,under worked manager keeps his position patrolling liscard bakeries every lunch time.[/p][/quote]I note that Thepleb told in a previous comment that an EVR package of only £16k would is hardly of lottery win levels. Further there was concern for their family and bills. A valid concern, rightly pointed out. I would imagine the "dog fouling manager" has their own family and bills to pay and sneakily trying to offer someone else up for the chop, (probably for personal benefit) is pretty low. I wish Thepleb a happy and appropriate Chinese New Year. Spotthedoggie
  • Score: 0

11:41pm Sat 9 Feb 13

Thepleb says...

Spotthedoggie wrote:
Thepleb wrote:
No mention in a cut to the dog fouling manager who if this happens will be overseeing two staff?
Another cut from the bottom rungs of the ladder while the highly paid,under worked manager keeps his position patrolling liscard bakeries every lunch time.
I note that Thepleb told in a previous comment that an EVR package of only £16k would is hardly of lottery win levels. Further there was concern for their family and bills. A valid concern, rightly pointed out.
I would imagine the "dog fouling manager" has their own family and bills to pay and sneakily trying to offer someone else up for the chop, (probably for personal benefit) is pretty low.
I wish Thepleb a happy and appropriate Chinese New Year.
My point relates to the fact that when cuts are considered the lowest paid and harder working like myself and colleagues are the first on the list not desk jockeys sleepers and shift dodgers
Not sure of managers personal position but who proposed these cuts in the first place I think somebody decided not to be a team player
[quote][p][bold]Spotthedoggie[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Thepleb[/bold] wrote: No mention in a cut to the dog fouling manager who if this happens will be overseeing two staff? Another cut from the bottom rungs of the ladder while the highly paid,under worked manager keeps his position patrolling liscard bakeries every lunch time.[/p][/quote]I note that Thepleb told in a previous comment that an EVR package of only £16k would is hardly of lottery win levels. Further there was concern for their family and bills. A valid concern, rightly pointed out. I would imagine the "dog fouling manager" has their own family and bills to pay and sneakily trying to offer someone else up for the chop, (probably for personal benefit) is pretty low. I wish Thepleb a happy and appropriate Chinese New Year.[/p][/quote]My point relates to the fact that when cuts are considered the lowest paid and harder working like myself and colleagues are the first on the list not desk jockeys sleepers and shift dodgers Not sure of managers personal position but who proposed these cuts in the first place I think somebody decided not to be a team player Thepleb
  • Score: 0

12:11am Sun 10 Feb 13

Spotthedoggie says...

Thepleb wrote:
Those small fines 137 of them only bring in £6-7000.
The cost of the dog warden service 10 officers and manager £300,000.
They wonder why this council is going bust.
You?.
[quote][p][bold]Thepleb[/bold] wrote: Those small fines 137 of them only bring in £6-7000. The cost of the dog warden service 10 officers and manager £300,000. They wonder why this council is going bust.[/p][/quote]You?. Spotthedoggie
  • Score: 0

10:28am Sun 10 Feb 13

Thepleb says...

Spotthedoggie wrote:
Thepleb wrote:
Those small fines 137 of them only bring in £6-7000.
The cost of the dog warden service 10 officers and manager £300,000.
They wonder why this council is going bust.
You?.
Fact!!
But I didn't propose it
Somebody in a shiny office did
[quote][p][bold]Spotthedoggie[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Thepleb[/bold] wrote: Those small fines 137 of them only bring in £6-7000. The cost of the dog warden service 10 officers and manager £300,000. They wonder why this council is going bust.[/p][/quote]You?.[/p][/quote]Fact!! But I didn't propose it Somebody in a shiny office did Thepleb
  • Score: 0

Comments are closed on this article.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree