Send us news by text, start your message Globe News and your send photos and videos to 80360
Pensioner taken to hospital after kitchen fire in Liscard
3:44pm Friday 25th January 2013 in News
A PENSIONER was taken to hospital following a fire in the kitchen of her home in Liscard this afternoon.
Firefighters were called to an address in Wallasey Road. The fire involved a tea towel that had been left on the cooker.
The 92-year-old woman suffered slight smoke inhalation and was taken to Arrowe Park Hospital by ambulance for a precautionary check-up.
Smoke alarms fitted by MF&RS activated when the fire broke out and alerted neighbours who helped the woman to safety.
The cooker and the tea towel were damaged by fire. There was also smoke damage to the kitchen and the remainder of the property.
Crews from Wallasey Fire Station attended and firefighters were there for around an hour.
Residents are urged to take special care when cooking food as many accidental fires in the home start in the kitchen.
MF&RS group manager Paul Murphy, said: "A working smoke alarm can save a life. We urge people to ensure they have smoke alarms installed and that they are tested every week.
"We also advise people to never leave items such as tea towels or wooden utensils on or near the hob."