Send us news by text, start your message Globe News and your send photos and videos to 80360
Fire service warning over candles and incense burners
9:49am Friday 4th January 2013 in News
FIREFIGHTERS are warning against the dangers of candles following a string of incidents in Wirral over the festive period.
Merseyside Fire and Rescue Service have issued the advice after they were called to six blazes involving candles between December 23 to January 2 across the area.
Among the incidents was a fire which was caused after a tea light was left on top of a television in Elmswood Road, Birkenhead, on December 30.
The living room was damaged by smoke and the woman occupant treated for smoke inhalation.
Firefighters were also called to a ground-floor flat in Tollemache Street, New Brighton, on December 29, where a tea light had set fire to a television.
Across the county, from April in 2008 to March, 2012, there were 183 fires caused by candles or incense burners with five people losing their lives and 43 people being injured
Watch manager Mark Jones said: “Leaving candles unattended can have disastrous outcomes. Luckily, although there was fire and smoke damage in some of these cases, there were no serious injuries.
“We urge people to take the greatest care when using candles. People should ensure that candles are secured in a proper holder and away from materials that may catch fire.
“Children should never be left alone with lit candles. Lit candles should not be left unattended and should be put out at night.
“They should also be lit in a well-ventilated room but away from drafts to prevent rapid or uneven burning.”