FIREFIGHTERS extinguished a fire involving a washing machine at a Wirral flat.

Merseyside Fire & Rescue Service was called to the address in Clifton Avenue, Eastham on Wednesday afternoon.

Firefighters wearing breathing apparatus used a high pressure hose to extinguish the fire, which was extinguished by 4.05pm.

The flat was ventilated to clear it of smoke and a Home Fire Safety Check carried out.

Around half the washing machine was severely damaged by fire with the other half damaged by heat and smoke. Around 10% of the kitchen was moderately damaged by fire. There was also smoke damage to the flat.

A crew from Bromborough Fire Station attended the call-out.