Hundreds of thousands of disability benefit claimants will see payments axed or reduced

Wirral Globe: Disabled people's minister and Wirral West MP Esther McVey Disabled people's minister and Wirral West MP Esther McVey

Hundreds of thousands of disabled people will see their benefits axed or cut in the next three years, the Government has said.

Ministers are reforming disability payments because, they say, some claimants have not been recently assessed and may now be suitable for some work.

They believe that by cutting benefits for some recipients they can divert money to those in more need, scrapping the 20-year-old disability living allowance (DLA) and replacing it with personal independent payments (PIPs).

Disabled people's minister and Wirral West MP Esther McVey told the House of Commons: "By reforming the system, ensuring it is fit for the 21st century, we can use the money we spend on disabled people more efficiently and effectively to help those most in need."

She added: "By October 2015 we will have reassessed 560,000 claimants.

"Of those, 160,000 will get a reduced award and 170,000 will get no award. However, 230,000 will get the same or more support."

Ms McVey said claimants receiving lifetime or indefinite DLA would not be reassessed until October 2015 at the earliest - after the next general election.

Labour backed reform but shadow minister Anne McGuire insisted: "The assessment needs to be the right one."

The annual bill for DLA is £13.2 billion a year, shared among 3.2 million adults.

In her Commons statement, Ms McVey said the changes would make the system "more transparent, objective and fair" and insisted that the Government had listened to the "huge" response to its disability benefits consultation.

She told MPs the checks would be introduced more gradually, adding: "We are now to undertake a significantly slower reassessment timetable to ensure we get this right.

"It will be phased in, starting with the North West and parts of the North East of England from April 2013."

Comments (25)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

1:46pm Thu 13 Dec 12

JimmyMercury says...

How do these people sleep at night? Won't be happy until old, disabled and the unemployed all kill themselves.

Just as well really as they can't afford to eat or keep warm anyway!
How do these people sleep at night? Won't be happy until old, disabled and the unemployed all kill themselves. Just as well really as they can't afford to eat or keep warm anyway! JimmyMercury
  • Score: 0

1:48pm Thu 13 Dec 12

WirralAl says...

She added: "By October 2015 we will have reassessed 560,000 claimants.

"Of those, 160,000 will get a reduced award and 170,000 will get no award. However, 230,000 will get the same or more support."

Sounds like they already have a target figure of 330,000 people before they have checked what their needs are.

They do need to review the people who get some allowances such as free cars but this already looks like a witch hunt.

Blaggers beware.
She added: "By October 2015 we will have reassessed 560,000 claimants. "Of those, 160,000 will get a reduced award and 170,000 will get no award. However, 230,000 will get the same or more support." Sounds like they already have a target figure of 330,000 people before they have checked what their needs are. They do need to review the people who get some allowances such as free cars but this already looks like a witch hunt. Blaggers beware. WirralAl
  • Score: 0

2:10pm Thu 13 Dec 12

bloodtub says...

its time to get those that fiddle there way to an easy life off the sick ,and give more to the people that need it,
its time to get those that fiddle there way to an easy life off the sick ,and give more to the people that need it, bloodtub
  • Score: 0

3:39pm Thu 13 Dec 12

Positive thinker says...

Well put bloodtub
There the ones who make all the
noise
Well put bloodtub There the ones who make all the noise Positive thinker
  • Score: 0

3:47pm Thu 13 Dec 12

zephsgranddad2 says...

I don't know if it is better to vote UKIP and get out of the EU or to go all the way in and close the Palace of Westminster.
ONE set of blood sucking politicians is more than enough
The Commons acting as the BLAME EXCHANGE is not giving value for money




in and
I don't know if it is better to vote UKIP and get out of the EU or to go all the way in and close the Palace of Westminster. ONE set of blood sucking politicians is more than enough The Commons acting as the BLAME EXCHANGE is not giving value for money in and zephsgranddad2
  • Score: 0

4:50pm Thu 13 Dec 12

dave301bounty says...

Its those who cheated the system years ago ,got their cash ,they have caused misery for a lot .I wish I could /would be allowed to give names ,to my knowledge I do know 3 rats who are fiddling ,have been for years ,and no concience at all ,so we are all going to suffer while this shower in power sort out ,what ? the system stinks like the cheats ,who will carry on regardless .
Its those who cheated the system years ago ,got their cash ,they have caused misery for a lot .I wish I could /would be allowed to give names ,to my knowledge I do know 3 rats who are fiddling ,have been for years ,and no concience at all ,so we are all going to suffer while this shower in power sort out ,what ? the system stinks like the cheats ,who will carry on regardless . dave301bounty
  • Score: 0

7:25pm Thu 13 Dec 12

Positive thinker says...

The pubs at Charing Cross to name a few are full of these fiddling scumbags,can't work because of there disability but they get up early and never miss a day of drinking and smoking the dirty filthy rats,no doubt there will be someone on this blog defending them well there as bad if not worse
The pubs at Charing Cross to name a few are full of these fiddling scumbags,can't work because of there disability but they get up early and never miss a day of drinking and smoking the dirty filthy rats,no doubt there will be someone on this blog defending them well there as bad if not worse Positive thinker
  • Score: 0

10:04pm Thu 13 Dec 12

Jimrob says...

"By reforming the system, ensuring it is fit for the 21st century, we can use the money we spend on disabled people more efficiently and effectively to help those most in need."

I assume, by this statement, "those in most need" means people like the present Culture Secretary and all other PM's who are constantly and consistently milking the Expenses System for their own gain.
"By reforming the system, ensuring it is fit for the 21st century, we can use the money we spend on disabled people more efficiently and effectively to help those most in need." I assume, by this statement, "those in most need" means people like the present Culture Secretary and all other PM's who are constantly and consistently milking the Expenses System for their own gain. Jimrob
  • Score: 0

10:49pm Thu 13 Dec 12

don't look back in anger says...

Funny how they know the figures who'll be taken off it or have it reduced, but they don't know how many of the 230,000 will gain from it. They'll be digging the dead up next and sending them to work.
Funny how they know the figures who'll be taken off it or have it reduced, but they don't know how many of the 230,000 will gain from it. They'll be digging the dead up next and sending them to work. don't look back in anger
  • Score: 0

8:37am Fri 14 Dec 12

bloodtub says...

why is it the some one who has lost there legs fighting for this country ,will try to keep working and will not let the fact they have no legs stop the leading a normal life and not claiming benefits but other that have nothing wrong with them are allowed to stay on the sick for years is why were in this mess time to help the sick not the cheats
why is it the some one who has lost there legs fighting for this country ,will try to keep working and will not let the fact they have no legs stop the leading a normal life and not claiming benefits but other that have nothing wrong with them are allowed to stay on the sick for years is why were in this mess time to help the sick not the cheats bloodtub
  • Score: 0

9:45am Fri 14 Dec 12

sandals_wearer says...

"Ministers are reforming disability payments because, they say, some claimants have not been recently assessed and may now be suitable for some work."

DLA and PIP (unlike Incapacity Benefit and ESA) are not income replacement benefits and are available to people in work. So why is the government spin machine mendaciously talking about suitability for work?
"Ministers are reforming disability payments because, they say, some claimants have not been recently assessed and may now be suitable for some work." DLA and PIP (unlike Incapacity Benefit and ESA) are not income replacement benefits and are available to people in work. So why is the government spin machine mendaciously talking about suitability for work? sandals_wearer
  • Score: 0

9:49am Fri 14 Dec 12

sandals_wearer says...

"Disabled people's minister"

Oh well, I suppose the blame for that Guardianesque non-capitalisation lies with the PA, not the Globe.
"Disabled people's minister" Oh well, I suppose the blame for that Guardianesque non-capitalisation lies with the PA, not the Globe. sandals_wearer
  • Score: 0

11:11am Fri 14 Dec 12

don't look back in anger says...

bloodtub wrote:
why is it the some one who has lost there legs fighting for this country ,will try to keep working and will not let the fact they have no legs stop the leading a normal life and not claiming benefits but other that have nothing wrong with them are allowed to stay on the sick for years is why were in this mess time to help the sick not the cheats
And what about the 15,000 who have been taken off their disability but have since died. They were classed fit to work, How do you work that out. About 25% will suffer from this change and yet it's been proved that only 1% are cheating. So how is that fair. I'd bet anything your a Tory voter. Shame on you if you are with a name like Bloodtub. I don't recall to many who drank in there voting Tory.
[quote][p][bold]bloodtub[/bold] wrote: why is it the some one who has lost there legs fighting for this country ,will try to keep working and will not let the fact they have no legs stop the leading a normal life and not claiming benefits but other that have nothing wrong with them are allowed to stay on the sick for years is why were in this mess time to help the sick not the cheats[/p][/quote]And what about the 15,000 who have been taken off their disability but have since died. They were classed fit to work, How do you work that out. About 25% will suffer from this change and yet it's been proved that only 1% are cheating. So how is that fair. I'd bet anything your a Tory voter. Shame on you if you are with a name like Bloodtub. I don't recall to many who drank in there voting Tory. don't look back in anger
  • Score: 0

11:36am Fri 14 Dec 12

don't look back in anger says...

bloodtub wrote:
why is it the some one who has lost there legs fighting for this country ,will try to keep working and will not let the fact they have no legs stop the leading a normal life and not claiming benefits but other that have nothing wrong with them are allowed to stay on the sick for years is why were in this mess time to help the sick not the cheats
My friends seven year old daughter has had two brain operations, and still has a tumour on her brain. She suffers from fits and has had to have the bathroom altered for her needs. She is still under constant care of Alder Hey specialists and yet she's had her disability taken from her and her parents have lost the mobility car that is used heavily for her hospital appointments. Tell me if that is fair. This government are looking for any way of getting people off DLA no matter who they are. Shame on you for supporting these changes when a child and her family have been targeted in this way.
[quote][p][bold]bloodtub[/bold] wrote: why is it the some one who has lost there legs fighting for this country ,will try to keep working and will not let the fact they have no legs stop the leading a normal life and not claiming benefits but other that have nothing wrong with them are allowed to stay on the sick for years is why were in this mess time to help the sick not the cheats[/p][/quote]My friends seven year old daughter has had two brain operations, and still has a tumour on her brain. She suffers from fits and has had to have the bathroom altered for her needs. She is still under constant care of Alder Hey specialists and yet she's had her disability taken from her and her parents have lost the mobility car that is used heavily for her hospital appointments. Tell me if that is fair. This government are looking for any way of getting people off DLA no matter who they are. Shame on you for supporting these changes when a child and her family have been targeted in this way. don't look back in anger
  • Score: 0

11:41am Fri 14 Dec 12

bloodtub says...

you dont understand why do we have millions of people on disability payments how many are to ill to work ,its no about who you vote for it about whats right ,give benenit to those who need it not to those who are not disabled but think that they the system i there to be abused and people have no shame when claiming there is no money left ,cut have to be made so cut those who milk the system and hopefuly the will be somthing left for those in real need ,fraud is fraud no matter were your from ,
you dont understand why do we have millions of people on disability payments how many are to ill to work ,its no about who you vote for it about whats right ,give benenit to those who need it not to those who are not disabled but think that they the system i there to be abused and people have no shame when claiming there is no money left ,cut have to be made so cut those who milk the system and hopefuly the will be somthing left for those in real need ,fraud is fraud no matter were your from , bloodtub
  • Score: 0

12:39pm Fri 14 Dec 12

don't look back in anger says...

bloodtub wrote:
you dont understand why do we have millions of people on disability payments how many are to ill to work ,its no about who you vote for it about whats right ,give benenit to those who need it not to those who are not disabled but think that they the system i there to be abused and people have no shame when claiming there is no money left ,cut have to be made so cut those who milk the system and hopefuly the will be somthing left for those in real need ,fraud is fraud no matter were your from ,
My friends child needs it desperately but this Government has taken it from them and the specialists at Alder Hey are appalled by this. The Government are playing with the minds of people by accussing every one of being scroungers and cheats and people like you are falling for it.
[quote][p][bold]bloodtub[/bold] wrote: you dont understand why do we have millions of people on disability payments how many are to ill to work ,its no about who you vote for it about whats right ,give benenit to those who need it not to those who are not disabled but think that they the system i there to be abused and people have no shame when claiming there is no money left ,cut have to be made so cut those who milk the system and hopefuly the will be somthing left for those in real need ,fraud is fraud no matter were your from ,[/p][/quote]My friends child needs it desperately but this Government has taken it from them and the specialists at Alder Hey are appalled by this. The Government are playing with the minds of people by accussing every one of being scroungers and cheats and people like you are falling for it. don't look back in anger
  • Score: 0

12:46pm Fri 14 Dec 12

don't look back in anger says...

My friends seven year old daughter has had two brain operations, and still has a tumour on her brain. She suffers from fits and has had to have the bathroom altered for her needs. She is still under constant care of Alder Hey specialists and yet she's had her disability taken from her and her parents have lost the mobility car that is used heavily for her hospital appointments. Tell me if that is fair. This government are looking for any way of getting people off DLA no matter who they are. Shame on you for supporting these changes when a child and her family have been targeted in this way
My friends seven year old daughter has had two brain operations, and still has a tumour on her brain. She suffers from fits and has had to have the bathroom altered for her needs. She is still under constant care of Alder Hey specialists and yet she's had her disability taken from her and her parents have lost the mobility car that is used heavily for her hospital appointments. Tell me if that is fair. This government are looking for any way of getting people off DLA no matter who they are. Shame on you for supporting these changes when a child and her family have been targeted in this way don't look back in anger
  • Score: 0

2:12pm Fri 14 Dec 12

EddieGremlin says...

Pulling the plug on DLA to promote fitness is like pulling the plug on a life-support machine to promote immortality.

I sincerely hope that none of you 'bleeding heart TAX PAYERS' ever fall ill or have a need for the assistance you are helping destroy with your blinkered attitude.

After all your the only ones who pay your taxes aren't you?
Pulling the plug on DLA to promote fitness is like pulling the plug on a life-support machine to promote immortality. I sincerely hope that none of you 'bleeding heart TAX PAYERS' ever fall ill or have a need for the assistance you are helping destroy with your blinkered attitude. After all your the only ones who pay your taxes aren't you? EddieGremlin
  • Score: 0

2:37pm Fri 14 Dec 12

Debbie65 says...

speaking as a disabled person , i was run over and degloved by a forklift truck leaving permanent ugly scarring and pronounced limp to my left leg, i am livid with all the cuts to the disabled in our country , This government , who care nothing about "us normal working class/ disabled people". The idiot who runs the country would rather have us out on thew street desolate , starving and hungry while giving our benefit money to i dunno Syria for arms to blow each other up , or give to India , the fastest improving nation in the world. He really doesnt care , he should go into wards , in this country , to see how we cope with our injuries and see how we juggle our money so we can have a roof over our head, heating and food in our bellies before he squanders our money, but would he ? Ha more chance of seeing a flying pig,. This government need to go, all of them , and get new blood in who care about THE UNITED KINGDOM , sod the rest.
speaking as a disabled person , i was run over and degloved by a forklift truck leaving permanent ugly scarring and pronounced limp to my left leg, i am livid with all the cuts to the disabled in our country , This government , who care nothing about "us normal working class/ disabled people". The idiot who runs the country would rather have us out on thew street desolate , starving and hungry while giving our benefit money to i dunno Syria for arms to blow each other up , or give to India , the fastest improving nation in the world. He really doesnt care , he should go into wards , in this country , to see how we cope with our injuries and see how we juggle our money so we can have a roof over our head, heating and food in our bellies before he squanders our money, but would he ? Ha more chance of seeing a flying pig,. This government need to go, all of them , and get new blood in who care about THE UNITED KINGDOM , sod the rest. Debbie65
  • Score: 0

12:26am Sat 15 Dec 12

tarrow says...

Wirral West MP Esther McVey
How to commit political suicide
Wirral West MP Esther McVey How to commit political suicide tarrow
  • Score: 0

1:42pm Mon 17 Dec 12

djrimmer says...

I used to think that Ms McVey was an OK politician but she now seems to at the beck and call of her chosen political party....... another one bites the dust!
I used to think that Ms McVey was an OK politician but she now seems to at the beck and call of her chosen political party....... another one bites the dust! djrimmer
  • Score: 0

7:35pm Wed 19 Dec 12

dave301bounty says...

I am seeing two people / rats laughing at this crackdown ,they are on full rate mobility ,and coining it at little side jobs to put it ,a little exra for the hols ,I will put their names on a lamp post when i can ,a pair of ladders so it cant be pulled down ,because it seems to me no one is stopping these robbing rats ,you should have seen their grocery troley in the supermarket in new brighton it was full and i mean FULL booze and other stuff ,lots of money .
I am seeing two people / rats laughing at this crackdown ,they are on full rate mobility ,and coining it at little side jobs to put it ,a little exra for the hols ,I will put their names on a lamp post when i can ,a pair of ladders so it cant be pulled down ,because it seems to me no one is stopping these robbing rats ,you should have seen their grocery troley in the supermarket in new brighton it was full and i mean FULL booze and other stuff ,lots of money . dave301bounty
  • Score: 0

7:47pm Wed 19 Dec 12

sandals_wearer says...

I'm afraid I don't understand your point dave301bounty. Are you unhappy that someone getting the mobility component of DLA (a non means tested benefit) has a job?
I'm afraid I don't understand your point dave301bounty. Are you unhappy that someone getting the mobility component of DLA (a non means tested benefit) has a job? sandals_wearer
  • Score: 0

9:55am Thu 20 Dec 12

bickyboy says...

The very fact that McVey is already telling us how many people will qualify for the new payments blows the credibility of this exercise right out of the water. The government has already decided how much money it wants to save, and to achieve that aim they plan to stop disability payments to tens of thousands of claimants regardless of need.

One further point. I recall during the debate about the closure of the Remploy factories that one contributor suggested it was "patronising" for anyone to suggest that the factories should stay open rather than for the workers to seek work on an equal footing with able bodied employees. How does that person feel now about their comments, given the news that over a thousand ex-Remploy workers are now seeking jobs, and so far only 63 have found work?
The very fact that McVey is already telling us how many people will qualify for the new payments blows the credibility of this exercise right out of the water. The government has already decided how much money it wants to save, and to achieve that aim they plan to stop disability payments to tens of thousands of claimants regardless of need. One further point. I recall during the debate about the closure of the Remploy factories that one contributor suggested it was "patronising" for anyone to suggest that the factories should stay open rather than for the workers to seek work on an equal footing with able bodied employees. How does that person feel now about their comments, given the news that over a thousand ex-Remploy workers are now seeking jobs, and so far only 63 have found work? bickyboy
  • Score: 0

5:10pm Sat 22 Dec 12

dave301bounty says...

no Sandal ,What it is ,I know that these ,persons are claiming full rate ,of dla ,yes FULL rate ,that means ,they cant work ,according to the dla worklines but these persons are working ,and getting a good wage ,/cash in hand .and i know quite a bit more ,but not allowed to say ,have had it taken off .
no Sandal ,What it is ,I know that these ,persons are claiming full rate ,of dla ,yes FULL rate ,that means ,they cant work ,according to the dla worklines but these persons are working ,and getting a good wage ,/cash in hand .and i know quite a bit more ,but not allowed to say ,have had it taken off . dave301bounty
  • Score: 0

Comments are closed on this article.

click2find

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree