A WIRRAL mum has been banned from keeping animals for ten years after failing to meet the health needs of a dog in her care.

Hannah Moran, of Naylor Road, Prenton, was given a disqualification order at Wirral Magistrates Court on Wednesday and was told to carry out 120 hours of unpaid work.

The 21-year-old, who pleaded guilty to four offences concerning a Staffordshire Bull Terrier called Floyd, was also ordered to pay £450 court costs.

Among the offences were failing to address the dog’s poor body condition and failing to ensure proper veterinary care.

Moran also admitted to not supplying adequate drinking water, leading to dehydration.

The court was told how the dogs had been previously owned by Moran’s ex-partner before he went to prison and she was hoping his brother would look after them.


According to Sinead Fearon, defending, Moran could not afford vet fees and had little family support.

Ms Fearon said: “Miss Moran was left with no support after her ex-partner went to prison and she thought that she would be getting help from his brother but she didn’t.


“Her mum died this year and she is still coming to terms with this while her father is in a care home. Things were getting on top of her so much that the animals suffered. She has no previous convictions and has co-operated fully with the investigation.”

Magistrates credited Moran for contacting the RSPCA and entering an prompt guilty plea.


Chairwoman of the bench Eileen Ashton said: “You saw the dog with your own eyes and we could have sent you into custody but due to your actions which brought the case to light and your early guilty plea, we have not.”

The court was told how she had called the RSPCA regarding the well-being of Floyd but on arrival inspector Anthony Joynes found Floyd “emaciated” and in poor condition.

Another dog, called Sasha, was discovered with a “lean” body condition and was completely blind.

Christopher Murphy, prosecuting for the RSPCA, said: “Floyd was found lying on the floor in a distressed and collapsed state. He was having fits and gasping for breath.

“The dog was emaciated and had little muscle tissue – it was clear that he was dying.”

Both dogs were later put down after vets concluded that they would have a “poor quality of life” and would be unlikely to be re-homed.

Mr Murphy added: “The vet reported that in Floyd’s case, it was one of the few cases where it was evident - even to a lay person - that the dog was suffering. It was clear that it had been not been taken to the vets.

“The owner said he had become ill over a period of a few days but the vet said it would have been a matter of weeks rather than days.”